1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whenver my parents talk about me being gay I get uncomfortable because of their views

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by johnnyr860, Apr 12, 2014.

1. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At one point when my mom first found out she tried taking me to talk therapy and she even tried having the pastor cast out demons from me but this did nothing except make me more depressed as it was not doing anything. My dad never talks about it and if I bring it up he just does not wish to talk about it. If I tell him I had a girlfriend he would be very happy. But when I told him I have a boyfriend and that I love him he just changed the subject and said "let's not talk about it." We used to argue a lot about this too.

My little sister is the only one who fully accepts me. I wish I could be closer to my family but I feel as if me being gay has made me more separate from them and I feel like a big let down to my family because I won't be able to provide them the biological grandkids they always talked about and not to forget that they frown upon me for having a boyfriend.

Whenever they say something nice about gay people I have to ask myself if they are really being nice or are they being sarcastic to me cause with them you never know. Is there something I could do to make them more comfortable about me being gay? What can I do to make myself closer to them as a family without me being gay becoming a problem when I am with them? I just hate having to go home for a visit because I feel like my sexuality always somehow gets in the way and like my parents hate me for it no matter how much I try to avoid the topic. :icon_sad:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Whenver my parents talk about me being gay I get uncomfortable because of their v

You are not a big let down. Your parents are the ones letting you down by not fully accepting you for who you really are. However, you should be supportive if your parents say something nice about gays, and you should know them well enough to tell if they're sarcastic.

I think one way to make them feel comfortable is to arrange a meeting like dinner with your boyfriend. You could try one parent at a time, such as something as simple as coffee. In general, the goal is to show that you're doing normal things that anyone else in a relationship would be doing, except your partner happens to be a guy.