1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Touchy friend confuses me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Wilzyax, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi
    I have this close friend, which I am very touchy with. Always when we sit next each other (something we usually do), we would always cuddle up, legs to legs and arm to arm, pressed up against each other, regardless how much place we have. And he often find excuses or situations to touch me, but the thing that's confuses me is that he got all protective when I take initiative to touch him, telling me "not to touch him". Something I can't see the problem with, because he always touch me, and let us cuddle up.
    So what are the problem? Because I don't really see it :frowning2:

2. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He may be confused about his own feelings toward you. Even if not, he may just have an overly dominant streak in his personality.

3. Calix

He could just be confused about how he feels for you and needs to interact with you on his terms until he works it out. Have you tried talking to him about it and finding out his sexuality?

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should just ask him why it's okay for him to get into your personal space but you can't do the same. Or, you could return the favor and tell him not to touch you. I agree that there may be some dominance stuff involved.

5. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    His personality isn't very dominant, and not to sound egocentric but I am the dominating one. Choosing what to do, what's okay, and he seem to follow suit with everything I say. And maybe I can "return" the favor by asking him not to touching me, but the problem is that I do not have any problems with him touching me.

He claim that he is straight, but when I asking how he knows that, he just tell me that homosexuals are wrong and gross. And I tried to tell him that is not a legal reason to hate gays, but then he just tells me that he does not know, he just hates them. :/

Is it a chance that he pushes me away because he's afraid what other people will think. Afraid to give others the "wrong" ideas?

#5 Wilzyax, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And maybe I can "return" the favor by asking him not to touching me, but the problem is that I do not have any problems with him touching me.

The point of you 'returning the favour' is to point out that if it's not OK for you BOTH to initiate, that neither of you should be. I mean you wouldn't be doing it at all if he didn't enjoy it on some level and by taking it away from him you are effectively steering him towards thinking about WHY he enjoys it.

The point is you want to know WHY it's not OK for you to initiate with him, if he tries and you tell him he isn't to do it to you if you can't do the same, he will have to think about why it's happening.

7. shadowraptor

Perhaps he is just curious, but as is the case with a lot of straight guys he maybe feels comfortable in his masculinity. Maybe he is afraid that by allowing you to touch him, he'll "sink down" to the level of homosexuals and that it's completely platonic touching when he's doing it to you because he'd never have an interest in you anyway and that you don't mind it (assuming he thinks you're straight). I have a lot of straight friends who do the same to me.

But I agree with everyone else that there is probably some underlying dominance there. You say he doesn't appear outwardly dominant, but a lot of people are much different than they seem. He might be a generally submissive guy when out in the world but a dominant one in the bedroom.

8. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I never thought of that, but how do I do that without giving him the signals that I've lost interest in him.
    I don't know if the main reason for my problem came out clear, but if I bruise my knee against his, holding it there, or if I feel his feet with my own he don't react at all. Only when I do something to sooth him, like stroking his back/shoulder with my hand.

So I know it is okay for me to initiate with him, as long as I do not do any kind of, like, patting or stroking him on the shoulder.

But then again he touches my face all the time, stare into my eyes almost to long, and have no problem if we stare at each other in public, with noses almost touching.
    So his problem seem to be if I do a comforting gesture to him in public....

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2014 at 10:39 AM ----------

He actually do allow me to touch him, as long as do not do it in a soothing or comforting way (like, for instant if you were trying to solace a little kid who were feeling down).
    So my problem is, why does he feels comfortable with me getting into his personal space, and why do he allow me to bruise up against him in public, BUT DON'T let me touch him if I do it in a "comforting" way?

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of the things you said can be considered accidental or minor. Stroking and patting are deliberate and more significant.

The thing is there are plenty of reasons he could react badly to it and frankly you need to know what they are.

1. He might be interested in you but unsure of himself - in which case, he probably ought to think about that pretty soon before you give up and move on

2. He might NOT be interested in you and doesn't like you touching him - in which case he is leading you on and it's bloody unfair

3. He might not like being touched that way - in which case, considering you are so worried about it that you had to come here and ask for help dealing with it, I'm thinking you would probably like to know just to settle your mind

4. He might not even realise there is a problem, after all you don't seem to mind and he clearly does - in which case you need to clear that up, because obviously there is a pretty big problem.

I could probably keep going with this.

Stop thinking about this in terms of romantic expression, you can get to that later.

Right now this is about you clearing up an obvious miscommunication of appropriateness.

You both need to know what the parameters are in terms of physical contact are. I mean it isn't right that he thinks he can touch your face at random or get so deep into your personal space that your noses nearly touch without an explanation as to why you can't do the same.

Let's take physical contact out of the equation for a minute and consider it in terms of behaviour.

Instead of physical contact we are now thinking about physical objects. His stuff and your stuff.

Now as far as he is concerned, he can take your stuff whenever he wants.

Him taking your DVD player is the equivalent of him touching your face in this example.

Now you don't mind the fact that he has it, but that isn't the point.

Now if you try and take his radio, he is going to tell you it's not OK. You can't have his radio because it is HIS RADIO. Keep in mind he still has your DVD player.

So why is it OK for him and not you?

Your stuff has value too, so why should he get to take it from you when you can't take his.

By that same token YOU have value as well. You may enjoy being touched by this guy, but it appears that he does not value it.

You need to find out why.

10. shadowraptor

Just going to that issue of masculinity, maybe he doesn't want to display that vulnerability. Society usually interprets being gay as being frail or weak due to their femininity, while straights are strong, masculine, and dominant. I think perhaps your friend doesn't want to show off that softer, childish side that needs some attention every once in a while, or at least not to you... but I can't be too sure.

11. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks

I really appreciate your perspective on things, that made things a little easier to understand, or at least I think so.

So I am now trying to think, why is it not okay for him?

You made a list of some bullets, and if I had to say which one I thought were the reason for him acting that way I would either say 1 or 3.
    Because I ignored this guy for 1 and a half year, and it was he who contacted me, showing interest in me, and started to challenge my personal space. In the start I was very protective, but gave in after 3-4 months.
    And he might not actually like to be touched that way, when I come to think of it, he told me one day that he didn't feel that he could take care for himself (after a little incident). So then I did the only thing I could do, I soothed him, stroking his shoulder as I told him everything would be fine. And actually, then he accepted my comforting gestures. When he calmed down he didn't tell me to "stop touching him", but he said that I could let go of him now, that he didn't need any more comforting.
    So is there a chance he don't like me soothing him, because he then don't feel independent or strong???? Or is he maybe afraid that I am only close to him, and touchy because he think I am only "taking care of him"? Which in fact are not the reason for me being so close with him.
    If so, how do I tell him I don't care when things go bad, and that I wouldn't think any less of him.
    Ugh, what do you think, are there any sense in what I'm saying, or am I just trying to find a quick solution?

#11 Wilzyax, Apr 13, 2014
  12. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, absolutely there is a chance that being comforted like that made him feel weak and perhaps it scared him. It does that to a lot of people.

The thing is if you want to tell him that you need to do it as part of a wider discussion. You know, the whole thing COULD get fixed in one conversation, it make take months and multiple conversations, who knows. Point is that you clearly need the discussion to happen, because both of you are worried about SOMETHING.

13. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is it okay if I start to tell him, but in a platonic way? Because if he IS somehow scared, I don't want to make it worse by cramming him with all my feelings toward him. Can I like, making it obvious that he touch me a lot, and make a point of it. So he knows my awareness, but that I am totally okay with that ("on a platonic level")? Do that sound like a place to start?

14. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Next time he touches you, touch him in the same way and see what happens.

If he lets it happen, great, if he complains ask why.

15. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Could be a combination of him being uncomfortable with feeling vulnerable, or at least appearing vulnerable in public (receiving a hug when he looks sad or depressed).

A variation on this is that the touch of another person can have strong effects on one's emotions, and some guys can keep their negative emotions (pain, sadness, etc) under control and put on the appearance of being ok until someone touches them to comfort them. And he's afraid of "falling apart".

All speculation, having someone touch his shoulders could remind him of someone he misses a lot, or associated with a negative experience, who knows...

Since it seems he's ok with contact except in specific combinations, first of all avoid those, and you could talk about it some time when you're both in a good mood, frame the question along the lines that you noticed something, that you don't want to do anything that obviously makes him uncomfortable, and that he can tell you if there's a story behind it all, you won't judge. You can also mention you're a "touchy" kind of person and you sometimes have to remind yourself not everyone is like that (both initiating and receiving).

16. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I must say, I really love that idea. It's like either it goes as I wish, or he have to give me a reason (which I think must be hard if he initiated it), thanks :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2014 at 12:02 PM ----------

Actually, he have told me that he felt safe and soothed when I comforted him, because I only did it when necessary. And he told me that he was so bored of people that cared about him always had to comfort him, and make sure he was "safe", and felt good. So I never thought of it like that before, but know it actually gives a lot of sense :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2014 at 12:04 PM ----------

So thank you guys for clearing my mind.
    Because I do not think I was capable to see all this myself. And actually, I think I learned something about my friend by all this, which makes me very hopeful :slight_smile:
    He don't need people to comfort him all the time, and even thought that wasn't my intention, who knows, maybe it my friend actually interpret me touching him that way as "me comforting and soothing him".

Thanks for all of your help, very much appreciated :slight_smile:

#16 Wilzyax, Apr 13, 2014