1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Best Friend Struggling

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Plushieluver, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Plushieluver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Heya, guys. I have came to this for some help with my best friend, Cammie. We're extremely close and we have considered ourselves as brothers because we're that close.

Oh, please me, he's had such a terrible past. His parents are extremely strong Catholics, so when he came out 6 years ago, which was when he was 12, they were so so hard on him. He's now 18, and he's terrible.

When we first met, which was in 2012 in December, he was great at keeping his depression at bay. In fact, I only found out a month later about his crummy past, so I was turned to surprise. I didn't expect that cuz he seemed so happy...

Now, it's been a year since that and he's now so bad... His boyfriend broke up with him because he couldn't cope with it anymore because nothing he was doing was helping him, and all it was doing was bringing Connor, Cammie's ex down. I understand that but Cammie surely doesn't. Ever since, he's been even more suicidal and he blames himself for all of it, then he's blaming Connor, then he wants to die, then he wants to be abused, then he wants to get into an abussive relationship so he can suffer from the pain. It just goes on and on, and it's really wearing me down because I have no idea what I can do to help him... I've tried everything, and nothing works... Does anyone know what I should do? Should I leave him for a few weeks, just to gather thoughts, or?

Thanks, and I'm sorry about this...

2. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Someone who is that unreasonable needs to see a therapist. In fact, it seems to me (certainly not an expert) like he might have clinical depression (which there are meds for).

I hope he gets better!

3. DangerAlex

I agree with Pummelmuffin. It sounds to me like he might need to seek professional help; even when threats of suicide are cries for help with no intention of following through, they should still be taken very seriously. Other than just being there to support him, a listening ear or shoulder to cry on whenever needed, there's not a lot that you, yourself, can do for him.

Good luck, I hope he improves. Depression is a terrible, difficult thing to deal with.

4. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed with the posts above. He needs to see people who can help him.
    Meanwhile, you just let him know he's going to be ok. But he's not your responsibility, so do not spend all your energy on him. Just give him support and reassurance.

5. Plushieluver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Oh, yes, he does have that... He's already been diagnosed with chronic depression, let alone other things, and therapy... Uh, well, he's so far gone that he doesn't go now, he doesn't trust anyone... His parents would never take him because of how homophobic they are, they've basically disowned him :frowning2:

I've tried to make him do so but he doesn't want to... He's so far gone, it's so scary! :frowning2: I try to be but anything I say is wrong, so I am out of ideas! :frowning2: I feel so guilty because I'm not a better brother for him than I could be but I just don't know what to do...

Yes, definitely but he doesn't care... I know, yeah but I worry ever so deeply about him because, back when I was depressed, and I was considering suicide because I wasn't out, I had a terrible boyfriend (I was so blind in love though, and he was the only one who cared), no friends, bullying, abuse but Cammie helped with all that. However, I can't help him with this! He never lets me, and never takes my advice. He just spits in my face (not literally).

I try to.

*sigh* I'm really worried, as well because yesterday his suicide threat seemed really prominent, and he hasn't been online today... Not on dA, not Skype, nothing, so I'm really worried he may have done it! :frowning2:

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Much appreciated :slight_smile: