1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In-Law Issues

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Akashah, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Akashah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I met my wife on line about 2 years ago, we have an awesome relationship. We got married 02/03/14.

Problem is her mother HATES me so much we have not told her we are married. I have Never met this woman, but because I am older (I'm 45 my wife is 26), I have 2 boys (10 & 7) from a previous marriage and I lived in the US while my wife lived in Canada before we actually met, her mother took an instant disliking towards me.

My wife and I came back to the US for a few reasons, but mainly for us to be able to get on our feet to be able to move to Canada comfortably in the future. In the meantime her mother has gone to extremes to break us up, everything from telling her that "I have no right robbing her of her youth." to running on line background checks and bringing up things about my past some which are mine and other things which were inaccurate due to it being one of those on line background things that can be from any number of "jane does" in this state ending up on the same reports, to actually calling the police when we were in Canada to have them do a welfare check on my wife to make sure she was all right.

Now we're here in the US and I just got a job and things start going ok for us when her mom again starts guilting her about her brothers graduation and how he really wants her there. Her mother has offered her a one way ticket back home for this event. We cannot afford to bring her back anytime soon therefore she'll have no choice but to stay until we can come up with money to bring her back, putting us further behind in our attempt to get on our feet...

There have been a number of disagreements between her and her mom, and overall I feel awful that her mother is doing this, I just wish this woman would have given me half a chance, meet me, get to know me before just blindly judging and going off the deep end. It hurts both of us deeply. Her mother and brother mean the world to my wife and she loves me, her mother cannot see that she is only hurting her daughter because we all three mean so much to her.

I am at a complete loss & getting tired of hurting because this woman refuses to allow her daughter to grow up....

Where to go from here? Do we just tell her we're married or keep it quiet? How to turn this around? Any advice?