1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reconnecting with an old friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by feverdreamt, Apr 21, 2014.

1. feverdreamt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello there, I haven't posted here in quite some time, it's good to be back though :slight_smile:
    sorry, this is going to be kind of long winded.

Very recently an old friend of mine (actually, my best friend when I was about 12-13 years old) has contacted me and has commissioned a logo design for a company he is starting up (Im not even a graphic designer, I just draw in my down time.) Im sort of confused why he has contacted me for this, he said he had originally went to a graphic designer but would rather support a friend; the only thing is, we haven't really had a conversation in around 4 years and from what I can tell, we don't have much in common; we were an odd pair of friends to begin with I suppose, I guess we were bonded by unpopularity. Our friendship faded when we went to different high school; I remember I hung out with him once during our junior year of high school and he was kind of uneasy/paranoid, Im pretty sure he suspected I was gay (he pretty much accused me of trying to sit in his lap, and I think his mom said something along the lines of "no experimenting" when she left their house), I think that was the last time we hung out. It's kind of funny because I never even considered pursuing him an option, but a couple months after us hanging out, I developed a bit of a crush on him despite his behavior (I really have no idea why). Luckily I was able to purge myself of those feelings, however, it did take a while.
    Anyways, I think he may want to rekindle our friendship, I just don't understand his motives; I think he may have been being friendly to get me to design his logo though. I suppose my questions are: Do you think he want's to be friends? If so, would you recommend pursuing a friendship with him?

thank you!

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try taking things at face value first. His contact with you doesn't really signify he wants to be friends, but if you think that rekindling your friendship would be beneficial, then talk to him. Sometimes people change a lot in high school and only later become more comfortable with themselves.

Personally, I have a similar situation. I have only had one best friend outside of relatives (I have a female cousin who's the closest to being my best friend), and we were friends from elementary school to middle school. He also left in high school. In college, I learned he was gay, and I unfortunately stayed away from him because I was still closeted. I never really had feelings for him because I saw him as only a friend, but as I became more comfortable last year with coming out, I found myself really wanting to talk to him. So, when I was visiting my parents in December, I sent a quick FB message of hello. Unfortunately, things kind of fizzled out after a few messages as I went into just talking about school, boring stuff.

Don't worry if you can't rekindle the friendship back to what it was before. Treat this as just making a new friendship with some old memories. What's the harm in meeting up occasionally? He may be more mature now and someone you consider coming out to. That could be really helpful since you don't have much to lose; it's only his loss if he acts homophobic.