1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long is good?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jacob D, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been single for a week now. My girlfriend and I called it quits because of our political and religious differences. We are opposites in almost every way and it just didn't work out. My question is not about her or us but more about time. What is a good amount of time to be single after breaking up with someone? How long should I remain single? This last relationship is not one I want to repeat.

2. Stewbert

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think it's really about length of time as it's about emotional health. When do you feel like you have proper control over your emotions and decision making skills and your decisions are no longer reactive to the past relationship?

3. themoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As Stew said - whenever you feel like you aren't moping over your ex. It could be that you meet someone who makes you forget everything a few days after breaking up with someone; it's all about what feels right for you.

4. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thank you for the replies guys. right now i'm not emotionally ready for another girlfriend. i think i want a break from the whole relationship and dating thing. i need to find a girl who's more like me but for now i plan on being single.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Think about it this way: when you're at a point where you couldn't care less about being single or in a relationship, then you have released all the strings that pulled you back. You will be going into a relationship as someone wanting to share his happiness, not desperate because he can't stand being alone.

6. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think i'm getting to the point where i could care less about being single or in a relationship. i'm actually enjoying being alone for a change. i think it bothers my mother though based on the many times she's asked me when am i finding a new girl lol.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, as you probably know... who you date is about you, not about your mom. So if you want to shut her up, you could say "I'm giving it a year before I start dating again." and that way she won't have any excuse to ask you. :slight_smile:

Personally, I believe it takes several months to really get over a previous relationship if you were in it for any length of time. Some people bounce from relationship to relationship because they can't handle not being in a relationship... and that isn't healthy. I think you're in a much better mindset by being able to appreciate being alone, and if your mother is having problems with that, it might be necessary to sort of gently explain that to her. :slight_smile:

8. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that's some good advice chip. i will need to explain it to her gently and i will. i was thinking of telling my mom that i'm taking a three month break from dating. i know she means well but i'm tired of her asking.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's never a good time for a bad relationship.
    It's never a bad time for a good relationship.

Lex

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The best time to be in a relationship is when your ready :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

11. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks lex and sup2345 :slight_smile: