1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Normal Parent/Child Relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by drwinchester, Apr 24, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

...So, this might be a stupid question but basically, what does a normal, presumably healthy/ideal parent and child relationship look like?

Just need some perspective.

2. JustMe2602

I have no idea..
    I think every parent-child relationship is unique.

3. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Well, we're defnitely not normal but let's see.
    So e.g. my mom and me. We laugh together a lot, annoy each other, talk bout almost everything. She was the second person to know I'm gay.
    My dad and me are not that lively with each other. He's more like an advisor in school stuff (he's teacher....). But I can talk to him if necessary bout almost everything. Till now he's the last after friend and mom to know I'm gay.
    They promised to be there for us (brother&me) and they try their best.
    Was that helpful? Hope so:slight_smile:
    Why do you want to know that?

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Reason I ask is because, now that I've moved out, I've been talking a lot with friends/relatives and I dunno. I get the sense that my relationship with my mother wasn't exactly normal...

Like, I couldn't really go to her for anything. I mean... We could hold a conversation. She had a good sense of humor. But I never felt like we were friends, even though that's what I think she thought we were. She's just, um, very authoritarian and I never got the sense that she understood I was my own person.

I was describing her behavior and my friend said some of it, like whenever my mother would blame moods/my gender/etc on hormones or undiagnosed mental disorders, sounded like 'gas lighting'. And I've posted a lot about her on here... Basically, just not the kind of person I feel comfortable around for extended periods of time. Sometimes I feel, regardless of how many times she apologizes or tries to make up for it that if I was dating someone who acted like her, I would've dumped them before it ever got that far.

My dad though, it was different. Always there for us, real family guy.