1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In Dire Need of Advice - Sleepover

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ViolinGirl8, Apr 25, 2014.

1. ViolinGirl8

ViolinGirl8 Guest

Hey; so I really need advice as to how to deal with a situation that I'm having. I've been invited to a sleepover/birthday party thing with one of my friends that I'm not that close with, and the only thing I know about her friends is the fact that they're not very nice.

I'm out to pretty much everyone at my school, so they know that I'm lesbian, and I know that they're very cool with it and don't really see it as an issue. However, they are also the kind of people that might be kind of freaked out to have a lesbian at a sleepover with them...

There is a pretty high chance that this problem is all in my head (most of my problems are), but I am still quite nervous to attend - I'm being forced to go by my parents, so not going isn't really an option. If it's not all in my head, is there anything I can do to deal with this: even if it's just dealing with the fact that I'm nervous and uncomfortable?

Thanks for any advice you have for me.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry about your parents forcing you to go. Maybe you could ask to just stay for the party.

But, you could use this as an opportunity to show you're not someone they should be afraid of. If it's just one night, you should be able to make it without many problems. You might talk to your friend who's the host about your concerns; she will be able to tell if her friends would have a problem.

Also, to help deal with going, try to be friendly and fair to everyone, not just the ones you know well. It can be tough because being a teen often means a lot of mixed up emotions and conflict.

#2 resu, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  3. Trentacles

I would just use humour if there's tension that needs broken. Though I'm gay I won't pretend I know anything about what girls do at sleepovers.

4. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm sure when your friend was inviting you, she must have thought the same thing, whether your being lesbian was going to cause any problems, and decided it would be fine. For the sake of your friend, the others might not do/say anything much about it. If they are cool with it, as you say, they might not even care very much.

Try not to act awkward around people because that might make them think things. Just try to be as natural as you can and it should be fine.