1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When should I sign up for a dating site?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 25, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm almost going to be 18. I've been thinking about signing up for a few free dating sites. I think that I should wait until I have my own car because I don't think I want my mom to drive me to dates. I'm also wondering about what to put for my sexuality. I've been thinking of just saying I'm gay even though I might be bi.

2. BelleFromHell

Ehh...
    I guess it'd be best to wait until you have your own car.

How you label your sexuality is up to you, but if you're only interested in seeing women, I'd just say gay.

I really don't see the appeal of online dating.
    I couldn't fall in love with someone I hardly knew, nor would I want some creepy 50 year old man pretending to be a 19 year old woman to ask me out. :confused:

#2 BelleFromHell, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  3. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    Online dating is great for socially awkward and closeted gays like myself. I don't think it's possible to meet anyone unless I'm out. I don't think it's possible to be out unless I know my sexuality. I don't think it's possible to know my sexuality until I have more experience.

4. BelleFromHell

Well, I certainly hope online dating isn't the only option for socially awkward penguins.

If so, I'm forever alone...

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well you can be out as "not straight." Or, perhaps as, "I'm currently dating women."

My thought: I don't think most people really need to know exact details. Even people whom you might date don't need to know exact details. Yes, if things turn serious, the possibility of being bisexual should be addressed. But for the first date? All most people would really care about is that this person is interested in dating me.

6. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think there's any point in telling any girls I'm dating that I might be bisexual. I think I would just tell them that I don't label my sexuality instead. If I end up dating a guy I'll probably warn him early in the relationship that I might be gay.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't say you're bisexual. That exposes you to lesbian biphobia. I would simply say "gay" or refuse to label myself.

8. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Online dating is great, if you feel like you're ready to date and want to meet people, I would sign up as soon as you turned 18.

I'm 23 and I don't have my own car, yet I've gone on plenty of dates with guys I've met online.

Homos are such a tiny minority that it can be very difficult to just happen to run into someone who is both gay and attractive/attracted to you. Online dating makes it easy to connect with other gay people who share mutual attraction, plus you get to talk to them online and get to know them before going out on any dates.

In any event, just joining a dating site can give you a self-esteem boost when you start getting loads of messages from people telling you how cute you are.:grin: