1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOMEN- would you ever date someone in recovery?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by w1e2e9s5a9L6ou, Apr 25, 2014.

1. w1e2e9s5a9L6ou

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So my last (and first good) relatiship ended 7 months ago when I entered recovery from bulimia. My girlfriend at the time said that I was too much to deal with and my emotions (because I was allowing myself to feel them as much as I could) were too much to handle. I have improved a lot in the 7 months, but am far from perfect. l

My question, would you women ever date someone you knew was consciously trying to recover and live without their addictions (fully determined)?? Yes or No and explain! :dry:

2. Bryony

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would. My only serious worries would be that the deeper issue that caused the symptom of addiction wasn't being dealt with, only the addiction.

I dated someone who was trying to quit smoking (not even a mental health issue) and used the withdrawals as an excuse for having anger issues. They would manage to quit, then start smoking, then quit again, over and over. Even when they managed to be cigarette free for 6 months straight they still had anger issues. They refused to acknowledge it. I'd say people in recovery from ED wouldn't be sitting on a deeper issue that is anything like that, but I'm not an expert psych, so I'll just say I don't know.

It can be frustrating trying to love someone who can't love them self regardless of the reason, but it's a frustration that's not that hard to cope with, and the recovering person hopefully will get better so the frustration for the healthy person will go away eventually.

It'd be harder if you prospective partner had their own mental health issues because then the frustration of coping with one another's problems might put you both in a bad spot - but then at the same time it could be amazing for both of you because, for example, someone who has never experienced the debilitating effects of depression will have serious trouble understanding when you have a bad mental health day.

If you are feeling healthy enough to cope with dating, go on and try it. Just be careful <3

3. fortheloveoflez

I'm sure that some people may disagree but I would be very cautious when approaching said-individual. I've been there done that, and I realized that it's just destined for failure usually. Sure, I could keep in contact, but I would wait for probably a year or so until I even consider dating said-person. It's not exactly ideal I guess. But if I really believed that things would get better then sure...I'm just very skeptical.

4. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes I would. If they have a good head on their shoulder than I will. I am very sorry that you have had to deal with bulimia. It is a nasty battle. My sister was bulimic/anorexic and she almost died when I was younger-thankfully fine now. I think it takes a strong person to get passed anything and we all have issues that we have to face so I would totally go out with someone who has been in recovery, but if the person was in recovery at the moment I would just like to be friends with them and if something sparks later on after awhile then I would be game.. I am happy you are still here in the world.

Best of luck :slight_smile: