1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long distance relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by onlythebulls13, Apr 26, 2014.

1. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everyone. I have been talking to someone online and I really want to get closer to him but he's in Houston and I'm in Chicago. Hes ridiculously handsome, nice have a lot of similar interests and etc.
    Anyone have advice about long distance relationships? Been in one, and have opinions about them...any info would be greatly appreciated. I really like this guy and want to make it work

2. Lcfcfox

I'm currently in a long distance relationship ish. She lives about half an hour away from me without traffic. It only became long distance a few weeks ago when she moved house but the thing is we plan on meeting :slight_smile:.

You should use some video chat software if you aren't shy, program's like skype if you don't do that already (do you use anything to see each other?)

#2 Lcfcfox, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  3. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    long distance relationships would be difficult to work. i think the physical distance would make it too difficult. it's up to you though and only you know what is best for you. either way good luck :slight_smile:

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It wasn't the only reason my relationship with my gf in college fizzled out (obviously) but we couldn't make it work over the summer when I was in California and she was in New England. There are people who can do it, and there's nothing wrong with giving it a try. It just takes a lot of work and you both have to know that and be ok with it.

5. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought about skyping... downloaded it a lil while ago just haven't set anything up with it. That's a good idea though... I'm still at the point in my life where I'm not sure that I'm happy with living in Chicago and would totally consider moving down south and move in with him down the line. ( not.gunna happen anytime soon...just started talking to him not too long ago). Is it not worth it to start a relationship without knowing that ull meet the guy in person any time too soon? Can u really get to know someone in a long distance relationship?

6. DangerAlex

There's not really a right or wrong answer to your question because everyone is different. For me personally, I currently live about 35 minutes from my boyfriend and there's no way I could handle any more distance between us. We're right at that line where it's inconvenient/not worth it/difficult to see each other with short notice or if we wouldn't have at least a few hours to spend together. I'm a very physical person; I need to actually see him, touch him, hold him, kiss him, have sex with him, etc. to be fully happy in my relationship.

You can get to know someone from afar, but just like they say "You don't really know someone until you live with them," you've got to understand that from such a distance, you're only getting a snapshot of who this person is as a whole. You probably won't get to see what he's like when he's sad, or stressed, or angry, etc. The nature and limitation to communicating via technology over great distances is that you are usually talking to the person when they're happy or in a neutral mood; you'll get very little experience with them being in a less-than-perfect emotional state. People are more in control of how they present themselves to others when they can proof and edit their correspondence, so like I said, be aware that you won't be getting the full picture, especially since he'll be trying to impress you if he likes you too.

The problem I have with distance is that it almost always comes with worry... "What is he doing? Who is he with? Is he where he says he is? Does he miss me? Does he wish I was there with him?" My boyfriend has never given me a reason not to trust him, but distance makes me insecure. I feel like generally, people are going to prefer dating someone they can physically be with regularly over someone they either can't see in person or can't see very often. So like I said, the 35-minute distance between my boyfriend and me is as much as I can handle as we can still see each other at least half the week.

Of course, everyone is different. Maybe distance won't bother you as much as it would bother me. Maybe Skype and talking on the phone would be good enough for you for right now, until you're able to make some kind of arrangements to see each other in person. If you don't think you could be happy in a long-distance relationship, then you're better off cutting it off now before you get too emotionally invested and it becomes super painful.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

#6 DangerAlex, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014