1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with my younger crush!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by wings9, Apr 27, 2014.

1. wings9

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay I would like to start off by saying that I am a new member and this is my first post. :icon_bigg I hope to meet and share ideas with a lot of people!
    I'll get to the point now. Well, I recently began to develop feelings for this guy in my Japanese class. He's a sophomore, and I'm a senior. That's the only class I share with him and I am the TA of the class (teacher's assistant). I have never actually engaged in conversation with him, but whenever I pass back a paper to him as part of my assistant's duties he often replies with a polite thank you, even though majority of the students (same grade and underclassmen) don't say anything. We sit on opposite sides of the room, but I occasionally do catch him glancing at me (since I can't help but do that too).
    Ever since I realized I have growing feelings for him, I see him more often out of class. Recently our school had this class performance thingy and I saw him a lot (he saw me too). It was funny because the skit he was in involved being very touchy with other males. He was always onstage either having a hand around his shoulder or having a guy lie across his lap. My role in my play was just a backup dancer, but since I was a more experienced dancer I was in the spotlight more.
    We had this night show and his performance was first. I of course watched him mostly. I was afraid because my performance was way later that night, and I didn't think he would stay to watch it since his finished earlier. I tried to keep an eye on where he was just for reference. And, to my surprise, he DID stay to watch mine!! :lol: its even more funny because we both watched each other's perf earlier that day during school, so i found it even sweeter. And guess what, shortly after my group's skit I saw him leave. So it seemed like he stayed to watch me. :icon_bigg (The dance I performed involved me rotating my butt and all too LOL)
    My main concern is, how can I advance things, like actually talk to him? The TA class I have him in has seating arrangements, and there are students surrounding him. My side is a bit more spacious. I find it too difficult to start a convo since that's how the seating is. And the fact that I'm a TA and I can't really pair up with him or anything for projects.
    As for knowing if he's gay or not, i'm still unsure, but I'm leaning towards he's likely to be interested in guys. He usually socializes with mostly girls, and he's even mutually friends with a gay guy that I know! Except that guy is not really close to me since he is also a sophomore. I also have a pretty experienced gaydar, since I've had gut feelings about certain guys and crushes. Even if I knew they were straight, I still pursued them :/
    I hope you guys can help me out with this. I apologize if I wrote a lot!! It's just that I have a lot of thoughts and I really want to see if I can actually at least attempt to get close to him. I find myself thinking about him more each day :icon_sad: thanks for any input and suggestions! :icon_bigg

2. Trentacles

Have you tried chatting with him after class is over? Also you clearly know his name if you have his papers... I suggest adding him on Facebook.

3. Kabuki

I think that trying something in class is not going to work. You have your job to do and I think is not responsible to be starting convo with a student when it is not necessary. By the way, I'm not trying to be mean this is just my way of seeing things. If you do get a chance to talk to him for a while then do so, ask how he's doing, etc, just things that can be answered fast so that you won't get in trouble with the teacher.

My best advice would be to try out of the classroom, you've seen him a couple of times, you also have a mutual friend(even if you don't talk much), so you can find ways to talk to him and with more freedom.

4. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm....
    Just throwing some ideas out:
    Could you perhaps ask your mutual gay friend if he knows whether this guy might be gay? Or maybe you could get your mutual friend to set up a situation where you get to actually meet and talk to this guy, like being invited to the same party and having him introduce you. Then you just talk to him and hopefully get his number or facebook :slight_smile:

5. wings9

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I actually considered that but I didn't want to seem like a creeper XD because yeah, I didn't really ever strike up a convo irl, so it seems kinda strange to add him on a social website :0

6. Kabuki

Not really. Let me tell you something that happened to me.
    On my second semester from my first year on college I started to bump into this guy a lot. Every time he would lock eyes with me, I first thought normal of it, because I'm the observant type, so I get it that some people tend to stare frequently.

The thing was that it started to get more obvious that it wasn't mere coincidence, he was indeed staring at me, and a lot. This went for a year and a half. One day browsing on facebook I found him, so I swallowed my shyness and messaged him asking about it. He only told me this "I'm not gay. Don't take it badly." That was it, only that. In the end my question was never answered, but after that happened he started to say hi to me, we talked a little, etc.

The thing is that after a while I send him a request and he accepted. I guess what I'm trying to say with this is that, he won't find it weird at all, you've seen each other(and always on the japanese class) and you have a mutual friend, my situation was weirder and he accepted, yours can't go so bad if you have those things backing up. Also, the interest in japanese can help too. :icon_wink

7. wings9

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Haha, don't worry, I definitely know what you're trying to say. Since I sit next to my friends in that class who are students, I tend to talk to them a lot, which gets me in trouble with the teacher :lol:
    I thought I would try saying hi to him more often, but I hope it doesn't come off as strange XD and I wanted to maybe help him with work during class, but I don't know how to go through with that, since he's surrounded by people x__x welp.

And I apologize because I'm going to be replying to these posts one by on... so sorry if I reply to one but forget about another!

---------- Post added 27th Apr 2014 at 01:05 PM ----------

Haha well the thing is I just started messaging him on FB today, so the convo is just gradual. I don't know if I should just ask if he knows if my crush is gay x_x since we don't really know each other well. He might even tell him of my crush :eek: I guess all I can do is slowly get to know them both >__< the problem is just having the courage to talk to him randomly. LOL.

---------- Post added 27th Apr 2014 at 01:14 PM ----------

Oh wow :eek: That definitely sounds like a situation I've experienced before :confused: That's why I'm kind of hesitant to "confront" him about it, it's happened to me a lot.

But yeah, when you put it like that, it sounds pretty reasonable :slight_smile: Maybe I'll wait until next week to see maybe if I can increase my socializing with him XD if I have to hand a paper to him, I'll try to add in a smile for him too :grin:

8. Kabuki

:grin: It was rather weird for me, since I feel very uncomfortable when people stare at me, but since I confronted him, I managed to gain a friend, in the end he haves a girlfriend, so to this day I still don't know why he did it.

About your situation- Just be friendly. A smile goes a long way you know. So maybe he'll notice those little things and, if you still are not confident enough, maybe he'll start a conversation with you instead. Which is a plus :eusa_danc :grin:

9. wings9

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yup, I know how you feel. I don't like it when people stare at me too, but I have no problem looking at someone else :grin:
    Yeah I used to like this other guy, knew he was straight but still decided to try anyway LOL, ended up finding out he was homophobic :dry: some people are more oblivious to their tendencies I guess.

I hope so. :rolle: it was so strange because before I even had a crush on him, I saw him once outside of school at this restaurant. I was leaving and he just arrived. We were both with our families. I didn't really pay attention so I ended up just bypassing him, even if he was looking right at me. I still regret saying hi or something, because I usually have trouble thinking on the spot :tears:

10. Kabuki

I love to look at people! I always sit on a place and just observe everyone walking, it's very fun to try finding which might be gay too :grin:
    Recently I found this guy very attractive, and he was a friend of a friend of mine. He asked me tell him to let me know if I had possibilities with the guy. It turns out he is kind of homophobic too :confused: and I just told my friend "you see why I wasn't interested in knowing :lol:"

I have that problem too. Sometimes things happen around me and I seem oblivious to them. Then I realize of what happened and always get angry because I let the opportunity slip by :lol: It's frustrating, but I just let it go, I just think that the opportunity might present itself again.

11. wings9

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Haha yep. I have a really bad tendency to stare at people whom I'm interested in, to the point where I'm craning my head drastically just to get a peek :lol: I think I can be way too obvious sometimes lol.

I just have to wait two more days until I see him again, since I only share the class two times a week mostly. I sometimes think of absurd situations in my head, like what would happen if I did this or that. I was thinking maybe I should catch him after class and ask if he needs help with any Japanese work, but that might be stretching it a little :confused: I'm too awkward to be that confident haha. So I'll just start with a smile I guess :rolle:

12. Kabuki

If you feel that a smile is enough for now then you don't have to feel pressured to do anything else you are uncomfortable with. Although classes don't last so much, and there is the possibility of not sharing any classes with him. So don't make the same mistake I did.

There was this guy on my philosophy class that used to stare at me a lot, and I stared back :icon_wink
    Anyways, I never talked to him, it was kind of obvious he was gay. The thing is, I'm kind of crushing on him now and I barely see him around campus. When I do see him we do the usual stare, but I'm too shy to start a conversation. I guess I lost my opportunity, something you have now.

So, even is it's baby step, make those steps a bit faster and built the courage to talk to him out of class. The help with work is great, just keep in mind that he might ask why you are asking him, and if this is something you are doing only to him or other classmates. Think carefully your answer if it comes to that. :icon_bigg

13. wings9

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm sure you still have the chance to maybe try and talk to him too! Although starting a conversation out of the blue is a far shot, you never know. :slight_smile:

Yup those are things I want to avoid him asking :confused: I don't want it to be obvious that I'm asking only him haha.

Besides, it can't be as far off as when I randomly started a convo with this guy I didn't even know, but I was interested in him. We always passed each other while going to class, and we didn't even share any classes, heck, we weren't even in the same grade! I just stopped him one day at passing and said like, "Hey, what's your name?" That's how it started anyway. Then it gradually built up to me asking his phone number and stuff. :lol: In the end, things got awkward because I didn't really see him that often and he didn't know English that well, and I kind of screwed everything up :lol: :lol: But you never know until you try, it just depends on who you try talking to :grin: the one I currently like seems pretty nice, unlike the other previous people, so maybe. :slight_smile:

14. Kabuki

I'm just really shy :icon_redf I'm also not out, just a couple of friends, although my feminine mannerism may give myself out :confused: and I don't like it since I like girls too, and not all girls like feminine guys :icon_sad:

Well you can just say you asked some other classmates, although it might give him the wrong impression. Like, he might not think of it as you being interested in him, but more of something out of courtesy. I don't think that's the impression you want to give him.

:lol: I've actually never done that, talk to someone out of the blue like that. I always expect people to start so I always end up not talking to them if they never had an initiative :dry:

I'm sure he is a nice guy. I also know he haves a facebook, but I'm kind of torn about adding him. I might get the courage one day, even if its to make a new friend and nothing romantic comes out of it. :slight_smile: I'm just not really confident about myself.

15. wings9

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know EXACTLY how you feel 0___0 I'm the same way pretty much. I'm really shy and withdrawn when it comes to new people.

I dunno, I really don't know how to stir up a good conversation. I'll probably ask my teacher if I can do other things to help her instead of just organizing her things for fifteen minutes and then sitting back down doing nothing for the rest of the period. :lol:

Yeah I've learned that sometimes people don't have the initiative but are just as eager to talk back if you open up the possibility :icon_bigg That's what happened to me, even if it was short-lived, at least I was brave enough to say hi first.

I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything but I think I'm pretty good-looking, I don't see why he wouldn't like me (unless he's straight, then it's perfectly understandable) :lol: Then again, only the guys that I don't really find attractive are the ones that have shown interest in me (personality-wise too, we don't click on a romantic level). Maybe when I smile more and maybe try to say hi to him once in a while out of class, then I'll try to add him on FB :rolle:

16. Kabuki

I guess we are pretty similar then :grin: Do you mind if I ask, but how old are you? Since you say you're a senior, but you can be a senior at different ages.

I sometimes play out the conversations in my head like if I say this he might answer with this and blah, blah blah.... and I keep for a while, but I never do it :confused: :bang:
    The thing with not having the courage to start a conversation is that you'll never know if he was interested in talking with you, like you said.

You could do that, tell the teacher and maybe you might get a chance to interact with the students more, and obviously have a chance to talk to him :icon_wink :thumbsup:

I don't think you are arrogant. I say I'm good looking to boost my confidence, if it's true, I don't know. I've never been in a relationship, I've never kissed, etc. So I guess that doesn't help at all because I feel no one is going to find me attractive(although I'm stared by people I really don't know the intentions behind the stare). My personality is good, most people compliment it, so I don't think that's going to be a problem for me.

Maybe I'll muster my courage and I'll talk to him and maybe add him on FB too :icon_redf

17. wings9

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm 18 :slight_smile:

Yup, even if I keep trying to measure things out, I end up doing dumb awkward things :lol:

Sounds like a plan :rolle: I really don't like to associate with the majority of the people in that class, but I would definitely want to talk to him since he seems pretty cool :icon_wink

I've never been in a relationship with a guy, so that's why I feel kind of down... Some guys wanted to go out with me, but like I said, they aren't really my type :confused: Not to be mean, but yeah. I can be nice but I'm mostly the joking type, meaning I'm always laughing and being silly :lol: Maybe if we do get the chance to talk, I'll mention the whole night show skit performances and all that :rolle:

When you think the time is right, go for it! It's still a bit too early for me to jump the gun, so I'll take it slowly. If anything, we could both try to add our crushes at the same time! :lol: I just hope it's not too awkward and sudden.

18. Kabuki

You are younger than me!! :eek: I never would have thought :grin:

:lol: I'm sure you don't like everyone, but that small sacrifice will be for a good cause :grin:

I guess we are pretty much on the same situation, the only difference seems to be that you are out? Or did those guys asked you out without knowing if you were gay or bi? Also, don't feel bad about rejecting them, if they are not your type then you can't force yourself to like them.

I have a very funny personality, although it is not always my intention, I'm just naturally funny. I guess my only problem is that my personality traits seem to contradict themselves, I'm mostly shy and introverted, but I love talking to people, making friends and other extroverted things. I'm a mess :lol:

That's a good plan :grin: I hope we manage to do it, even if it doesn't end up the way we want it too, maybe a great friendship will form :icon_wink

Anyways, I'll leave for a moment, I need to shower and wash my hair. I sent you a friend request if you want to befriend me :slight_smile: :smilewave Let's chat again and help each other out on this.

19. wings9

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Really? :lol:

Yeah the ones who asked me out knew I was bi haha. I'm pretty much out, like if you asked me what I was then I would say it. :lol:

Yup I have conflicting personality traits too~ Like I can be sociable and funny and out there, but at certain times, I usually prefer my alone time and time for myself, because I feel more at ease and I can think with more clarity. :icon_bigg

I accepted your friend request! Sorry I'm still new to this so I might not understand all the functions. :confused: I just feel so embarrassed to talk to him outside of class. Like it's so random that it would kinda be risky. :confused: My situation is just a bit more complicated, I guess. But I think as long as you get the ball rolling, things will be better from there on it. :rolle: So yeah, let's hope we can progress by next week! :thumbsup:

20. Kabuki

Yeah. I guess most people your age here where I live are very immature, so you being mature(atleast from what I perceive from the way you express yourself) I thought you were my age or a bit older :lol:

Then you are a bit more comfortable with your sexuality then. I'm just came to terms with it not too long ago. But I'm gradually coming out if I'm asked, so I'm making progress. :grin:

That's what I think too. I love time alone, I just feel like I need to have time to think about things calmly. I don't know, analyze some aspects of my life, think of my future, etc. I feel like I'm an old guy :confused:

About the things here- You'll have notifications appear on the right. You can post messages on other peoples wall(they are public) if you become a full member(you need to have 50 post and be a member for 2 weeks or more) then you can send private messages and it is acceptable to give personal info through there.

Don't feel embarrassed about that, talking to someone is nothing to be embarrassed about. Just think of trying to develop a friendship and forget about the crush for a bit. I think you feel that way because you like him, so it will feel more weird. I don't know what makes it complicated though since I'm not there seeing your situation first hand, but it can't be so bad.

Yeah :rolle: Lets hope we can make some progress next week, even just give a sincere smile will be enough :thumbsup: