1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High School Relationships Are Overrated

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gengars, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I recently had a revalation after talking with my sister. High School relationships are overrated. I mean, they are extremely dangerous for people like myself, especially where I live. Plus, the pursuit of one just adds a bunch of unnecessary stress and drama. I mean, I have multiple crushes and don't want to be lonely, but lonely is all I can be right now. Is giving up like I am a good idea?

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You shouldn't completely give up.
    I agree with you - high school relationship ARE overrated, and they most certainly are a huge source of unnecessary stress and drama. I never looked for one.

But I found my boyfriend when I was 15 and we're still together, so I can't completely say they're crap.

So like I said - don't give up completely. Just don't let the search for a relationship consume your life, because your pickings in high school are very slim, and there comes a lot of drama with it.
    If possible, date someone that's not from your school. That helps stop some of the drama.

3. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have actually let my feelings get in the way far too many times already, which is why I made my decision. However, meeting people from outside of my high school? Unlikely, due to the fact that I know pretty much nobody right now, and i'm too shy to introduce myself to new people.

4. BelleFromHell

I agree, but I'm homeschooled, so my opinion might be a little biased. :lol:
    I think it's best to wait until you're in college to start dating.

5. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, that was my initial plan actually! I mean, there are only a couple people I know of who I find attractive and have a possibility of being gay/bi. But in college, i'll have a wide variety of guys to choose from! Hopefully. If not then too bad for me I guess.

6. DangerAlex

I don't know if I'd say that overrated exactly. Maybe a little bit, but mostly I think they're taken WAY too seriously. There is value in them, such as gaining experience with dating, finding out the types of people you like, becoming more confident, etc. But so many of you youngsters tend to see your high school sweetheart as be the end-all be-all of relationships and that's just not the case. Or I should say it's very rarely the case, as some people do end up with the person they dated in high school for life. Inexperience and immaturity has of way or tricking you into thinking your tenth grade boyfriend or girlfriend is your soulmate. I don't know if I'd say you should give up on dating in high school, but I would definitely be aware that your "soulmate" at this age is probably going to change from one month to the next. And also be prepared to breakup, get back together, breakup again, making each other jealous, etc. There's a lot of unnecessary drama, but like I said, there's value in the experience you stand to gain. Just don't take it so seriously!

Good luck!

7. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Come to think of it, I may feel even more pressured because my sister is now engaged to the boy she dated in high school. But I never expected to be in a relationship with this person forever. I understand that people grow, change, and go their seperate ways. So i'll lose a bit of experiance. That's just a kind of "oh well, too bad for me" sort of thing. I dunno, the more I think about it, the more I start to get distressed. Maybe I have been taking things too seriously all along...

8. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you go into situations looking for a boyfriend, you may well find yourself frustrated. If you go in looking for friends, you're more likely to succeed. Worst-case scenario you have new friends. Best-case scenario one of them turns into more than a friend. I think just taking the pressure off of yourself can really help--take it from another anxious loveshy guy.

9. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

If you hook up with immature people, then yeah it can be a real shit storm. But I've had my successes in high school. I mean so it's not all crap, but it's rare to find relationships that last very long, and that can be stressful.

10. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @SemiCharmedLife

Heh, yeah but i'm no good at making friends in the first place. But yeah, pressure gone for the most part already, other than some feelings I still have for a couple of people.

@CharlieHK

I think that I kinda guessed that annoying stuff like that would happen probaby.