1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to meet someone

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Minnie, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Minnie

I wouldn't describe myself as shy, however I'm not always so great in social situations. Often the advice to gays on how to meet someone is to go to an LGBT society, which I've been doing but am not interested in anyone because:

1) A lot of them have been in relationships with each other; and
    2) Big, knitted group of people.

(Well, there was one person I like[d] but they got a boyfriend [of f**king course!].)

I've tried out social dating sites but they're not really my thing, plus there's no way I'm paying a subscription to find someone!

So what can I do? It's not like the odds are in my favour that a girl I spot in a coffee shop is going to be gay or bisexual. My step-mum has loads of gay friends but they're all over 30 at least. And I quite like time to myself, but I want to find someone at the same time.

Blegh, maybe I should just wait until I resume studies in September in case I meet someone in one of my classes. But that's won't be for another 5 months :frowning2:

2. DangerAlex

In my experience, you'll find someone when you're not really looking. When you're actively trying to find a partner, you inadvertently put this pressure on yourself, which makes you much more likely to settle for someone you would not otherwise be interested in. I understand the allure of wanting to have someone to call your own, but I find it's actually LESS likely to happen when you're trying so hard.

My advice: Find new, engaging ways to fill your time until September. Don't plan on finding a relationship. Instead, work on yourself. Get a gym membership or join me, different social groups. You never know when someone you could have a wonderful relationship with will pop up.

Good luck!

3. Minnie

Thanks Dane :slight_smile: