1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I didn't know that Church would be such of an issue

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by IG88, Apr 30, 2014.

1. IG88

Hey all! I'm a Christian, I go to church, and I love the people there. So far, I haven't heard any anti-LGBT sermons.

However, last Sunday the kids' pastor "Sara" (there's an area for adults and separate annex for kids' church) was talking about romantic love, and how the kids were too young for dating (obviously lol...all of them are still grossed out by kissing).

But, she said that love/romance was between a man and a woman. I don't know if it was just me, but it seemed like she was stressing the gender roles when she said man and woman. Maybe Sara was emphasizing adult man and woman, as in that pairing versus a child boy and girl ... instead of strictly male and female, but I'd bet she wouldn't be on board with gay marriage.

My church doesn't seem LGBT friendly, as in accepting, but does seem to be friendly in the sense that they would expect you to pray it away while continuing to go to church kind of thing (versus banishing all gays). I don't know, something didn't sit right with me when Sara said that...I don't really want to say anything for fear of drawing attention to myself, but the whole situation doesn't bode well. What would you do? Thoughts?

2. Gen

Gen

I wouldn't give what she said too much thought. There are both religious and non-religious people who beat around the bush instead of voicing negative opinions of LGBTQ individuals. Homophobia is gradually becoming the new racism in which they are still plenty of hateful people among us; they simply feel more obligated to avoid coming across as bigoted. Especially in religious environments, we just have to accept that no matter what some simply will never approve.

3. Best of Both

Best of Both Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That is one reason I never go to church and never go near religion

4. Clay

I see where you're coming from but, given the fact you were in a church, I'd say she was stressing that you (the kids) shouldn't be gay.

5. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much this. :/

6. IG88

I like this quote. Thanks for the responses everyone! I'll try not to give it much thought to what she said, and if differences of opinion crop up I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

It's easier said than done though. What if one of the kids turns out to be gay? Then I couldn't go with church opinion on what to say to him or her.

7. Clay

You don't need to go with the church opinion. You could talk to that kid personally and explain your views.

Heck the church might even let you mention to the kids that you shouldn't feel ashamed if you're gay, it's just something that you can't control.

8. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I am not sure if you still live at home or not or if you go to church with your family like I used to when I lived at home but you can always move out and make your own decisions as to going to church or not but if money is a problem where you can't move out then I would just try not to say much about it or not say anything at all so you don't risk being outed or someone saying something that could draw attention to yourself.

As for the church itself I have learned to respect their viewpoints even though I completely disagree with them the church does not seem like they will change their views anytime soon so I left and found a church that was gay friendly and accepting and I am not sure what big city you live in but if you do a search you might find a few churches in your area that are gay friendly and accepting that have no problems with gay people.

In the church I go to the pastor is totally fine with me being gay and I told him a while back and he said I am always welcome at church just the way I am. Maybe you could try that if that helps. I know it can be tough listening to her talk about relationships between a man and a woman like that but if you let it get too much to you then that won't be good if they suspect or find something out you wouldn't want them to know about you. Good luck I hope it all works out for you.

9. I definitely know how it feels to be at a church where they say that LGBTQ people need to be changed. I remember crying because of my pastor mentioning it once.

However, you shouldn't let it get to you. Be confident in your relationship with God and don't listen to people who try to tear you and God apart. Let God tell you through your heart what He wants for you. If He, NOT churches or pastors or religion, but if He doesn't tell you that there is anything wrong with who you are, then there is nothing wrong with you. Sometimes it will seem like God is the one making you feel guilty, but most of the time, it's sadly pastors and church family who tell you that you can't have a relationship with God while being who you are. Once again, stay strong in God and be you!! If you need anymore help, let me know! :slight_smile:

10. Aldrick

You basically have three options.

Option One: You can do nothing. You can sit in silence as you hear things like this going on around you. This becomes more difficult as you grow closer to the point of coming out of the closet. What will you do when /if you're in a relationship with someone of the same gender? Things get really messy at that point, especially if they want to attend Church also.

Option Two:
    You can speak up about what you heard. The downside to this is that it might end up outing you, and you might hear things that confirm your worst fears. However, by speaking up you at least create the opportunity for change within the community.

Option Three: You can leave the church and join one that's explicitly accepting of LGBT people. Now-a-days there are lots of options. You wouldn't find any trouble finding a church that will welcome and accept you for who you are, and would encourage you to bring your family. This option will pretty much guarantee you a happy ending to the situation.

There is also a forth option - sort of. It's a combination of option two and three. You can speak up at your church, give them a fair shot and an opportunity to change, and if things don't go well you can change to a new church. The advantage of doing it this way is that you might encounter people in the congregation that agree with you. Even if you and those with you are in the minority, you might be able to persuade them to leave the church with you for a new more accepting church. That way you aren't really starting over fresh with new people, you're bringing at least one other person from your old church with you.

Those are pretty much your options right there.

11. IG88

Thank you! Those are wise words. (*hug*)

I really love the people there, so it would be tough to leave. I hope that I can handle myself if the members and I debate things. Good advice though.

Thanks all for your support!

12. gryphon

gryphon Guest

The Episcopal Church (US) is good for option 3. There are at least 4 gay couples at the church I go to and at least one of them is really devoted and active.

13. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, of course, churches will hurl their anti-gay vitriolic virulence at some point... It is ill-conceived to assume otherwise. Just ignore it and build a sound case FOR what you know is true, to defend yourself should a debate ever arise.