1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for online dating?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 30, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've google searched tips for online dating, but it was all meant for straight people. Do you have any tips for queer online dating?

2. willfultrans

Out Status:
    A few people
    Dating online isn't actually different. At least I would say that its the same for the most part. I do think that online/long distance relationships can work, however they take a lot of work and can be mistaken for something they aren't a lot of time.
    My best tips to offer is to see each other as often as possible, and communicate often, but not so much you aren't giving them space. It's okay to send a message when you want to talk to them, but if they don't respond or they say they are busy, let them do their thing. Even online things can get to be too much.
    Don't mistake a flirtation and an intrest for love or stronger emotion than there actually is. I've been with my girlfriend for a little less than six months, and still I am falling in love with her, and learning about her. And we aren't online.
    It's a lot of work, and while I try not to have online relationships, its simply because I can't handle not having my significant other near me, especially if I get upset. However, I've had relationships that were online that I had been falling in love with them. They just weren't able to work out. This isn't to discourage- this is to know how hard of work it is. But you know and have established a friendship, and you both share this growth in feeling, there are plenty of fantastic relationships that have come from the interwebs.

3. me123

Don't always get your hopes up. People can be a lot different online.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best I can think of is: get offline as soon as you feel comfortable that the person you are interacting with is (relatively) sane. Meet her in person in a public space and tell those you trust when, how long and where you will be meeting this person.

This way, you don't spend a lot of time on the wrong person, and besides, it is striking how different people are when offline.

5. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    The one time I tried online dating, I honestly listed that I identify as bisexual (they didn't have a pansexual option)... So I got maybe one female match for every 50 men. I would almost suggest just listing yourself as lesbian if you don't want to be trapped in hetero-land, haha.

And just about nobody was interesting, anyway, and it was frustrating just how forward people felt they should be. So if you think you can handle that, go for it! If it starts to get depressing though, don't be afraid to just not log in for a while.

6. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was already planning to list myself as gay.