1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you react if the following situaiton happened to you?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by johnnyr860, May 1, 2014.

1. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok so I am like a really big fan of the show Modern family and well I was watching this one episode. Basically Cameron was on his way to the store and he ran into his father in law Jay. Now Jay was with a group of guy friends who have no clue his son is gay. So Jay looks at Cameron and introduces him to his friends but instead of saying Cameron is my sons husband he introduces Cameron as his sons "good friend." When Cameron gets home and tells Mitchell what his dad did Mitchell got mad and went to talk to his dad and said Cameron is not my friend we are a couple.

So I just wondered if a situation like this happened to you where you and your partner got married and you ran into your father in law at the store and he introduced you to his friends as his son or daughters "friend" instead of lover how would you react? Would you take it ok just because he was around his friends? Or what would you feel?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a big issue. I can understand the father's reluctance to introduce his son's "good friend" as his partner, but it is a huge act of disloyalty to his own son.

I know this will be an issue with my own mother and I am anticipating this problem as well, so I have to make it clear, way in advance of having a Relationship (and I know that I will have to repeat it often) that referring to my significant other as my "good friend" will not cut it and I will not be pleased.

3. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I agree. Well my mom I know she would have no problems with introducing me or my boyfriend to anyone as partners but as for my dad I know for a fact that if he was with his friends he would look at us and say that my boyfriend is actually just a good friend of mines. It's interesting how this all plays out. I know it's just a tv show but I do happen to relate to it at times. If this ever happened to me I am almost sure I would interrupt him and his friends for being like that and introduce my boyfriend properly as my boyfriend. But I agree that would not cut it and I would not be pleased myself.

4. Best of Both

Best of Both Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wouldn't do or say anything about it because it wouldn't bother me

5. ALilConfused

I'd say: "Yeah, we're such good friends that we got married *insert number of years ago*!"

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if we were married, I suppose we'd be friends too, so it's not like he'd be lying.

But I think I would still say something like, "Actually, she's my wife."

7. PrincessEliza

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I would definitely correct him on the spot! And glare at anyone who couldn't accept that

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember wondering how this would work when we went to my parents' golden wedding anniversary party. It was in Utah, it was huge and most people there were Mormon, many of them volunteered with my parents at the local temple. In this context I really would have been alright with whatever my parents chose to say, but consistently they introduced my partner as my "partner--they've been together for 10 years." (This was several years ago). And when it came time to do the pictures, they did just them, then them with the kids, then them with the kids and the spouses... and everything ground to a halt because my partner didn't come up (we weren't technically married at the time--or now for that matter) and my mother had to make sure (very vocally) that all the spouses were in the pictures... I could almost see people who hadn't yet been introduced to us quizzically counting the men and women in the group at that point.:icon_bigg