1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My best friend kissed me last week. Now he says we can't be friends anymore. HELP!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by wayconfused11, May 1, 2014.

1. wayconfused11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi everyone, I'm new here but I'm grateful to be able to have a place like this to talk. The past few weeks have been a really hard time for me, and I would love your advice. Apologies in advance for length but it means a lot to me.

Background
    We are both in college, and graduating soon (great timing right?) I've been curious (guess you could say bi) since high school, but have never told anyone about it in real life. He and I (along with a couple other guys) have been best friends since starting college. I've always been able to talk to him about stuff, whether it be my self-confidence issues, job stuff, or getting girl advice (I've never really been in a relationship ever).

He's had a girlfriend though for most of his time in college, and I never suspected a thing. In addition, he comes from a very conservative family (as do I), and a few times has been vocally against gay/bi stuff, saying it's wrong in God's eyes.

What Happened
    A few weeks prior to this incident, he and one of the other best friends in our group seemed to be pressing me to admit something to them whenever I was drunk. I obviously resisted, even though he occasionally pressed me more and even spanked me once when I was drunk. One time my friend made a passing remark at the bar saying he didn't care if I liked guys, girls or both, as long as I was happy.

Fast forward to last week: a group of us is at his place after getting back from the bars. Eventually they leave and I just decide to stay there and crash (nothing out of the ordinary) because I didn't want to have to get a cab that late. We talk a bit more before he heads to his room. I grab a change of clothes from his room, and we talk some more. Eventually when I start to head to the couch he says it's not a big deal to just sleep in his bed. This is when I know something is off...

I initially just tried to go to sleep, but he then started saying stuff in a hushed voice I couldn't understand at first. He won't repeat them when I ask, so I just brush them off. Eventually I hear him say something along the lines of "You've got to meet me halfway here". At this point I'm shaking uncontrollably in bed, and we have some sort of conversation. Eventually he leans in and kisses me, at which point he says "I knew it".

I then open up to him and talk a bit about each other. He says he's liked me for over a year and has never told anyone about him in person. I'm so confused because he has seemed perfectly happy with his gf, and because this is horrible timing in that we both are starting jobs soon across the country from each other. We then start fooling around (nothing too major), and he eventually says other things like who else he has found attractive in our group of friends, and that he "wants to see me cum". The real kicker is when he says "don't move away"; if I don't already feel confused enough, this is pretty gut wrenching at the time. Like I said, I've never had a relationship before and have never really opened up and made myself vulnerable to anyone before.

We fool around for a good rest of the early morning, and then go to sleep. We wake up several hours later, I have coffee, and then I just go talk to him because he is still in bed. More kissing/naked cuddling then ensues. Eventually he cums and seems to act instantly differently. At that point I had a friend come pick me up, and he says we can never talk about this and no one can know.

Aftermath
    Now I completely understand what he meant. Both of us are in very similar situations in that no one knows about either of us. I have no problem not telling anyone. We text like normal the rest of the day (he says we can't mention anything over text either), but then eventually I end up telling him I need to talk the next day about it to clarify everything.

We get together and talk it out. He says that he's thought about it, and he's really in love with his gf and wants to marry her. He says he needed an "anatomical" experience like that to know for sure, but he knows what he wants to do now and says we can never mention it. He's basically saying he now has zero "curious" feelings anymore. He did say if I ever needed to talk about my situation to him that's fine, and that he thinks this experience will actually make us closer friends.

Three days or so pass, and I see him one of them. We go to class together (like we usually do), pick up some school stuff after, and walk back home. All during this we are talking just like before. Everything seemed fine, and while it was a really hard few days to me, I eventually thought I had come to terms with what he wanted. The main thing I wanted was to stay friends, which seemed to be how it would end up.

That was until last night. I'm with a different group of friends hanging out, when I get a text from him. It says something along the lines of, "Hey, I know I said we can still be friends but we can't. I don't want us to talk anymore. I'm not gonna say anything." I then immediately freak out and start shaking (like I had when I was in bed), and have to excuse myself from my friends' hangout. I text him back asking why and if we can talk about it on the phone. I get a reply saying, "Seriously don't talk to me anymore. I'm sorry." Eventually I text back a string of things saying stuff like "I'm so confused, what did I do wrong?", "Things seemed fine, and I was able to get over the other stuff", "There are so many other things changing now that we are finishing school, and I can't handle losing a best friend" and "How am I supposed to act when we are both around our other best friends?"

Eventually he calls me and we talk on the phone. Things didn't go so well. I basically reiterated my points saying I was doing everything he wanted me to, and I had finally come to terms with things. I also said I didn't want to lose him as a friend, and I would rather people know about me than losing our friendship.

That's when he went on the offensive, saying "We obviously have two different ideas of what happened that night. You were the one who came on to me, and I did not reciprocate. Originally he had said he was blackout (he wasn't--he throws up whenever he is) and that the reason he did it was because of that, and he didn't mean any of the things he said to me. Now he's switching his story and trying to make it look like I wouldn't take no for an answer! If you asked any of my friends (including him) about me, they would all know I have never been one to make the first move. In fact, he was the one who a month earlier had said that if I want to have a relationship ever I need to grow a pair and talk to people more. In addition, it literally took him 30-45 minutes that first night to coax anything out of me and get me to open up.

In addition, he said that if I kept contacting him there would be "consequences" and that it would be his word against mine.

At this point I'm so confused. The timing couldn't be worse, as I leave at the end of the month for a job and probably won't see him (or my other best friends) for a while. I'm not sure why he's lashing out like this, but I can't bear to lose him as a friend. The group of all of us always hangs out and that's going to make things so hard/awkward. In addition, I feel horrible that I helped him cheat. He and his gf will be a long distance apart as well in a few months, and it seems like he is holding on to her thinking that it will keep any lingering feelings from arising again.

What do you all think? It seems like I'm going to have to give him some alone time, but given that we will be far away I'm worried that I will literally never talk to him again :frowning2:

2. homoblomo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: My best friend kissed me last week. Now he says we can't be friends anymore. HELP

look mayb giving him time is what is best at this point. I mean he is obviously freaking out over this experience, he is the one who made the first move and now he is in denial. if u guys end up never talking to each other again it wouldn't be the end of the world.

3. wayconfused11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Re: My best friend kissed me last week. Now he says we can't be friends anymore. HELP

Thanks for the reply! I certainly would hate for that to happen, but like you said it wouldn't be the end of the world. My main concern is that it's not just us. We hang out all as a bigger group, and I am going to be seeing them from time to time and staying in contact with them. Since that's the case it's only a matter of time before we cross paths, and I just don't know what I would do in that situation.

At the same time though, of all the best friends in our "group", I would say we were the closest. We played sports together, talked about almost anything, worked on projects/studied together, and helped each other through rough times. It would kill me to know that he can't talk to me about an issue this important. After all, that's what friends are for.

4. homoblomo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

a TRUE friend will always be there for you no matter what, if this little snag can make him disassociate himself with you, then quite frankly he isn't worth it.

don't depreciate yourself, we are all worthy of friends who will accept us as who we were born to be, friends are like family, with only one exception, that friends can be chosen.

5. wayconfused11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

I think it's also more of an issue in that I feel really used. Like I confided in him and talked about it, since we talk about everything. And he even said it would bring us closer as friends, so it just feels like I've run into a brick wall at like 100mph. I've invested so much time in my friendship with him and the other guys that it doesn't seem possible to just be able to let it go that easily.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm deflecting. I really do know what you're saying, it's just hard to accept and I don't like not knowing what will happen. I'm the sort of person that likes to confront problems, and it doesn't seem like he wants to.

6. homoblomo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

no, I understand you as well. hes been ur friend for years it is hard for you to think that maybe his whole disposition towards you could change so suddenly. and I am pretty sure that just because you both revolve around the same circles of friends doesn't mean that they will all react this way. I bet there will be a few who will be like (&&&)

7. wayconfused11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

I'm a bit confused now. What do you mean they all won't react this way? I mean it's not like I just told my friend about me. He kissed ME and I was never suspecting him to have similar feelings! It's not like that's going to happen with any of my other friends lol.

8. homoblomo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I mean to like the possibility of u being gay.

9. wayconfused11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

The reason I posted this thread though was to see why he's acting this way. I'm not concerned about my other friends and what would or wouldn't happen. I'm saying that he was the one who kissed me, and I opened up to him. He obviously has the same feelings, but for some reason is pushing me away. I don't think he's doing that because of anything I told him, but more about his own feelings. I'm not sure what to do.

Sorry, just wanted to clarify. I'm not trying to get advice as to what my other friends would think if they find out about me. I only mentioned them all because no matter how much he doesn't want to see me, I'm still going to be seeing them, and he probably will be too, so it's only a matter of time before we cross paths again.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

He is basically making you a scapegoat for his own actions since it sounds like he had been thinking of this for a long time, and he probably is doing this because he feels he has to stay with his girlfriend to "keep up appearances." You should tell him he should at least be honest with her before they get married; it will save a lot of heartache later.

Sadly, you need to talk to your other friends (you don't need to mention him specifically) and try to move on. It's too much for you to just ask like this was no big deal. You seem to be the one who is handling things better.

11. homoblomo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

hes reacting the way many "straight" guys act towards the notion of them being gay, or like any closeted, super macho guy, that the guy he shows any time of attraction towards, or affection is the one making him feel this way, or think it. even tho he was the one to initiate, in his deeply closeted mind, he sees it as if ur the one that coaxed it out of him, ur the gay not him. sorry if this doesn't make sense.

12. wayconfused11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

See I think my concern with that is that at this point. He doesn't want to hear from me at all, much less hear me telling him what he should/shouldn't do about his current relationship, you know?

I'm doing my best to handle things, and honestly if I could go back I just would have never responded to his attempts at getting me to say something. It's not worth forever losing a friendship, and that's what I'm deathly afraid of!

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Tell him he owes at least his girlfriend some honesty. Even if you never get back to being normal again, you will have at least tried to help him avoid an even bigger mistake. It's hard because of your feelings for him.

You need to stop thinking like a friendship is worth denying your own happiness and self-worth. That's not friendship, it's kowtowing like a servant.

14. wayconfused11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

When/how would I tell him that? First, I doubt he would even think about telling her anything about this. Second, I'm just afraid of what he said about me coming on to him, and if he actually believes that was what happened. If he said it was "his word vs. mine", I'm afraid that if I keep contacting him he may lash out even more. It seems like he's in a tough situation right now too.

15. Gen

Gen

I wouldn't reach out to him again. I'm sure it is heartbreaking to lose a friend under these circumstances and there is definitely still a chance that he will come to his senses and make amends with both himself and you, but you don't deserve to be his punching bag throughout his struggles with acceptance. I am all for assisting friends in accepting themselves, but there is also a time when we have to remove ourselves from the situation and let people deal with their emotions on their own terms.

I am positive that he felt everything he described on that night for you, but now I'm sure those feelings have caused him to project his feelings of self-loathing on you. You have done nothing wrong and he will eventually realize that at some point. Hopefully sooner than later, but moving forward will ultimately be at his discretion. I would recommend continuing to try to get over any romantic feelings that you have for him. On a romantic level, there will be plenty of other guys out there who will actually respect you enough to never wish to hurt you in this way.

It would be great if he reaches out to you in the future and your friendship could be rekindled, but I would try not to focus on gaining him back. It is probably for the best that you are about to graduate and move out of state. It might be just the distance and new environment you need.

16. wayconfused11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

Thanks so much for your advice on this. I think it makes a lot of sense. While I certainly felt something then, it was never very realistic, and I think the hardest part of all this is the friend-related stuff. We shared so many times/experiences together along with our other two friends, and it's extremely difficult to just see that vanish in the future.

It might just be me being overdramatic, but it sort of feels like you had a disagreement with a loved one and then they die before you can resolve it. Never being able to talk to them again just hurts :frowning2:

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

He's not going to die. You're just graduating from college, so it is likely that he will eventually come to at least be comfortable with himself. I think the best thing is just to remember the good memories you had with him and try not dwelling on the sour ending.

However, you have work to do on your own dealing with your feelings so that you can be fully independent and more confident when it comes to love.

18. Aldrick

I pretty much agree with Gen. You're dealing with a guy whose super deep in the closet, and he's in major denial. In my opinion he took advantage of you while drunk, and had probably planned or fantasized about it prior.

The problem he's facing is that he's so self-loathing of the fact that he's probably gay, that every time he sees you he's reminded of what he's done. He's reminded of all that he's said. You're a vulnerability to him and his straight facade. All of the self-loathing he feels for himself is being projected onto you.

Unfortunately, I worry what he'll do if he feels threatened. Someone in his mindset can do some crazy things to stay closeted. The fact that he basically said you raped him (without using the r-word - what do you think "wouldn't take no for an answer means?"), says to me that he'll play that card if he feels he has too.

I also wouldn't be shocked if there is a time in the not-too-distant future where he flips back, and tries to tell you that he's sorry for the way he acted. He might want to be friends again. Although, that would only be a pretext for him to try and be sexually active with you again, and then you'd eventually be hit with his self-loathing all over again if you go through with it or reject his desires.

There is nothing you can really do for him. He's going to have to sort through his issues before he's ready to open up. If at some point in the future he's willing to talk to you again, then my advice is to encourage him to seek therapy, and put conditions on reuniting as friends. He's got some issues that he needs to work out, and you can't do it for him.

When it comes to public appearances, take cues from him. If he treats you as he's always treated you, do the same. It's likely in those situations he will strive to pretend as if nothing happened. He has to keep up appearances and avoid suspicion. If people start wondering what's up between the both of you, they might begin to question him. That's something he can't allow to happen. The alternative to that is that he'll just drop out of the group entirely, and begin to distance himself.

I wish I could tell you there was something you can do for him, but the reality is - unless he's willing to listen to you and seek help - there isn't anything you can do for him. He's dealing with a whole lot of shit in his head, lots of shame, and lots of self-loathing. It will likely take years of work with a seriously good therapist to help him work through all of that and come to terms with his sexual orientation. We can only hope that he hasn't married a woman and had kids - involving them in his madness - before it comes to a head.

Sadly, he can't bury the truth forever. It will likely eventually start manifesting itself in serious self-destructive behavior, where he only ends up compounding his problems. That's where a lot of people in his situation end up.

The best thing you can do is to learn to grow comfortable with yourself and your own sexual orientation. Living by example is the best way to show him that it's possible, which could be something that could help him. Though don't be shocked if at some point in the future when you're comfortable with your sexuality, and start to become open about it, that you hear he's unleashed a torrent of homophobia your way. Just realize, should that happen, where all the hate is coming from - it's coming from his hatred of himself.

I wish I had advice that would have been more pleasing to hear, but I don't. :frowning2:

19. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This guy - I can't use the word "friend" in good conscience - is an asshole of the first waters. He decided to "experiment" with you, then decides to "bury" you afterwards to hide the evidence. He's treating you like a porn website, clicking on the X to make you go away once he got what he wanted. Worse, he's decided to recast you as the instigator, so as to protect his ego.

Frankly, as hard as it is to accept, I'd say he's beyond redemption. Yeah, he might come around. But I'd say it's more likely that he doesn't. Why should he, really? He can now live his life as a straight guy, who had his "curious" tendencies satisfied without (in his mind) ever doing anything but allowing some guy to take advantage of him.

But another problem might be your mutual friends. They might notice that you two stopped being so buddy-buddy. And if you notice one becoming more distant, I'd say you shouldn't have any issue going on the assertive. I wouldn't be accusatory - just factual. "I guess you maybe heard about me and Bob. I don't know why Bob would do something like this, but
    I guess it's best not to push it. It just sucks because I feel kind of used." No need to get into detail.

Sorry your first experience had to go down like this. Hope you can meet someone else soon - male or female - that give you all the positive stuff (like what happened that night) without any of the crap that followed. :slight_smile:

Lex

20. wayconfused11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

Thanks for your advice. I just had a quick question though about your response. So it's him and I and two other guys. I was thinking about maybe telling at least one of them that I may be bi. How do you think this would affect the main guy?

On one hand, I think it could help in that if my other friends are accepting, that might relieve him. On the other hand though, I'm afraid that he may see it as me going on the offensive and trying to put pressure on him. If that's the case, I'm afraid he may then tell my friends his version of the story. I honestly don't know who my friends would believe in that situation. He does have the gf which could be an advantage, but I try not to thing about that scenario happening.

Also, on an unrelated note, when you said not-to-distant future, how long did you mean? I know you aren't a psychic (lol), but were you thinking of a specific range?