1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF Mom

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by drwinchester, May 1, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So, turns out last night one of my sisters, Em, had to go to the ER last night. Em's fine. Respiratory thing, got that square away. She's home now and doing fine, back to her happy usual self.

Well. You know how I found this out? My mom posted this on Facebook. Publically, to all her friends. She's got a picture of Em, sad, with one of those air mask things on (?), whatever you call them. Posts about the "scary" ER trip, about Em's breathing problems that resulted in it and etc, etc.

She didn't message me before it happened. She didn't inform me or my grandmother. Didn't call. Didn't text. Didn't say a fucking word about my sister having to go to the ER.

I found out through a Facebook post meant for all of her couple hundred friends and followers. About my sister. And a possible medical issue.

I don't know if you know this but I kinda have this thing about family and medical emergencies. I kinda like to stay fucking informed about any possible health issues about immediate family members, you know? I want to fucking know my sisters are okay.

Look, is it normal for people to do this? I don't think this is a case of "making sure people don't worry" I have a sneaking suspicion she's pissed off and cutting me and my grandmother out of her important contacts.

So yeah...

I'm just really fucking pissed off right now. I'm really tired of my mom's shit.

2. Techno Kid

I'm sorry dude, that really sucks. :frowning2:
    I have a suspicion your mom is doing that too. :/

3. CyanChachki

I can't say it's normal, because it doesn't sound normal. You'd think that she would tell family first? Give them a ring and tell them what's up.. That's usually what happens or what should happen. No judgement what so ever, I just don't see why there has to be a picture involved? Isn't a status enough? Just my thoughts.

I will say, though (and I'm not trying to take away from your story at all), my Dad did this once as well, when my niece was in the hospital and he had updated our family before he updated any of us. I wasn't personally upset but I know that my sister was. Hm. Funny how that happens I suppose.

Well, sorry she did this to you. It's not really fair, though I can't say why she did this.. um. Maybe you should talk to her? If not, that's alright, I'm only suggesting. I hope your sister gets better. :slight_smile:

4. Niko

She what?!

Posting things on Facebook that are a family emergency to share with friends, before letting other family members know, doesn't seem very normal to me. It's possible she could be holding a grudge on you or something, like you said; but that still doesn't make it right. Man I'm sorry...I don't know what else to say. :\ That's just awful.

I'm glad your sister is alright though!

5. AlamoCity

Sorry man, that sucks. To be honest, and not to offend you, but I think your mom thrives on Facebook/social media instant feedback and almost gets off on the posts and "Likes." It's probably a deficiency of hers to seek validation and support through her online "friends."

Not to defend her, but in the age of instant Twitter and Facebook feeds, more people are finding out private, family matters through social media. Not that this is the case here, but it's the age we live in. When my best friend's grandpa died, some of his siblings found out when a daughter-in-law posted the news on Facebook :dry:. We need to start social media etiquette classes in high school :lol:.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah...

Facebook's her primary means of communication, really where she spends most of her time these days. So it makes sense she'd post, you know?

But really fucking insulted she wouldn't think to at least message me and say "hey, taking Em to ER. Not big deal but just wanted you to know". Or something like that.

She wants validation and kinda get the sense she lives through how cute her kids are and how she "bares her soul" on Facebook, you know? I mean, everyone wants validation in some way, shape or form but it's like, lot of what she posts kinda rings false? The kids are homeschooling? No. Last time I walked in, they were watching TV and you were on Pinterest and my ten year old sister was still doing 2nd grade level math that she's clearly too advanced for.

She's been avoiding me since I moved out. And it's like, unless I'm babysitting or being useful, I don't matter. My grandmother, who she also failed to inform (I have no idea if she told anyone else but besides my brother- kinda doubt it. Actually, dunno if he knows either...) is in the same position as I am.

So yeah...

Least Em's okay though.

7. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to hear your sister is OK. With what you posted I could see two different ways. One, she's trying to cut you and your grandma out. The other, more likely, she's so hooked on Facebook that she doesn't understand the effect is has on people to learn about important family matters from a "public" source. There's a reason that when trajedy strikes, the news isn't given names or pictures right away. The responsible officials notify the family first, and give them at least a little time to notify more friends and family before they release the information to the news. (Which is essentially what happened with your sister)

8. Calix

It sounds like she could just be addicted to the attention it would get her on facebook. It sucks that she didn't think to tell you beforehand though. It sounds like something my mum would do to be honest lol. The first week I told my parents I was trans, they kept sharing daughter related stuff on facebook ¬.¬;;

9. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is absolutely unacceptable. Once your sister is well, I'd definitely meet this head-on.

10. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

But why she had this behavious? o_o Sorry man, but I haven't still understood...

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Addiction to Facebook. Another huge possibility. She's on it almost all day. If she's not on the computer, she's on mobile.

I kinda doubt my brother knew either and I'd met up with him that morning. If he'd known, sure he would've said something.

But at same time, since I moved out, seems like mom just kinda dropped me. Didn't say anything about me moving the day I left. Last thing she did when I last saw her that day was snidely remark on me presenting male. I babysat for her that weekend and basically, said maybe only a couple things to me and barely acknowledged me leaving.

12. Jethro702

That is bad. My grandparents have pulled something like this before.... My grandmother had been having massive chest pains and had to have a pacemaker put in... My family and I didn't learn of it until we visited them a week after the operation had taken place... No one was happy. I hope things between you and you mother begin to look up some time soon :slight_smile:

13. PrincessEliza

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I really think she's full of bull, but there is a small, tiny possibility that could have occurred. Maybe she thought that she should tell everyone at once, instead of a lot of people individually, just so everyone could know and not feel left out..... I have no idea.....

14. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

"My life is crumbling and the only thing that's sustaining me are you wonderfully caring people on Facebook. You see my struggles and how unsupportive everyone in my life is. Gotta drop the deadweight if I'm ever going to breathe the clear air."

:dry: