1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I be friends with my ex?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MommaFrog, May 4, 2014.

1. MommaFrog

So I ran into one of my exs today... haven't seen him since about 2009... We parted on decent terms.

We caught up a little today, I mentioned my boyfriend and he said he knew him from when they were both younger. He asked me to hang out sometime, and we exchanged numbers.

I told my bf almost as soon as I could. He said he doesn't mind me talking to him as long as we were only texting and that i kept him informed.

I have very few friends, and it would be nice to have a friend from my past. I have NO romantic interest in him at all.

So, can I be friends with my ex?:help:

2. Alehkz

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not generally a good idea. Never worked out for me in the end, but just follow your intuition.

3. Aldrick

Of course you can be friends with an ex. Just because you were in a romantic relationship in the past, doesn't mean you can't be friends. Especially as you no longer have romantic feelings toward him.

The issues with friendship with ex's usually arises out of one of three places:
    1. The partner in the current romantic relationship begins to feel jealous and territorial. These circumstances need to be handled with care, but it's important to remember that it's a personal issue they're having. You aren't a piece of property that is owned by them, and thus shouldn't feel obligated to act like it. Part of a healthy relationship is trust and respect.

There may be other reasons that a current romantic partner might feel uneasy about a friendship with an ex, but these are very situational. (For example: The past ex was abusive emotionally or physically, and thus the current romantic partner is concerned you might be hurt, or is having a hard time forgiving the ex for what they've done.)

2. When you have romantic or sexual feelings toward the ex, and start to find yourself wanting to act on those feelings. The problems that this can cause are quite obvious.

3. You suspect the ex still has romantic or sexual feelings toward you. Once again, the problems that this can cause are quite obvious.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My ex-gf is my closest confidante, and she was even before I was sure I was gay. But it took a lot of work for us to get to that point. Totally worth it for me...she's amazing.

5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya,

I'd say a couple of things here. Firstly, of course you can. I'm still very good friends with my ex wife of 13 years. If you parted amicably, then why not?

Secondly, I would also comment that it's not right for your partner to dictate the terms of your relationships with other people, even if it's your ex. To do so would seem to indicate a lack of trust which you may want to address.

Happy days :slight_smile:

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course you can. I'm good friends with several of my exes. I actually had season tickets to the opera with one of my exes for years--we would go out to dinner, then the show and then out for coffee often well into the night afterward talking about it. Several of my partner's friends thought he should have a problem with it, but he didn't. His take on it was always: if he doesn't go with this guy I'm gonna have to go the opera.:lol: If one's partner is secure in themselves and in the relationship (and there really isn't anything for them to worry about) I don't think they should have a problem with it.

7. Linux Lenny

Yes of course you can . me and my ex-gf are still friends , I came out to her and she understood me well , and then we became very good friends .

8. me123

Being friends with an ex can either be great...or terrible. I get the joy of working with my ex everyday, and there is some days that the tension is crazy. And we both do things that we know will piss the other off when we are having bad days. But when we get to sit down and have conversations or do fun things, it makes it good again. It can be a really weird and rollercoaster type of friendship

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, of course you can be friends. Personally, I'm not friends with any of my exes (even those who I parted on good terms with) but my partner is still good friends with one of his exes and sometimes goes away with him for the weekend.

10. MommaFrog

The main issue here, is they are both males... I am female...

11. Idris

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm good friends still with my first ex (male) but no longer friends with my second (female).

I do believe that exes can be friends, but it's all about maturity. They have to be emotionally and mentally able to be a friend without allowing the past relationship to seep through. Yes, you can have some semblance of the past friendship if it was friends first, but to be honest it will never be the same. I learned that with my second ex. My first ex, we only dated a week so it was much easier, where as my second, it was an on and off relationship and by the time we started settling into friendship, they kept having issues with guilt and the avoiding and ignoring eventually settled into her cutting me out of her life one day without a goodbye or an explanation. All I know is that her guilt was what prevented us from being friends. I came to the conclusion that I don't think I could ever be friends with her ever again because of what she put me through emotionally. Personally, I'd say it's up to you, if they seem interested in friendship, go for it!

#11 Idris, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014