1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She just doesn't get it.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Envira, May 4, 2014.

1. Envira

So I came out to my parents A good three months ago and they were totally fine with it and everything. No issues, just friendly discussions and questions.

At this point in time, I'd started to consider a career as a tattoo artist, although I don't really want any tattoos myself. In addition to this, at the beginning of this year, my style of dress became really dark, and I started listening to what could be considered "emo" music. After I came out however, I was much happier. I still love the music and everything. But every time I mention something about it my mom jumps to the conclusion that I want tattoos and stretched ear and tons of piercings. And she's always telling me that I can't until I'm like 30. Which I don't mind because I don't want them anyway.

My mom has also had a bit of an issue with labels. I told her I was gay, but it's like she doesn't think I'm sure about it. She keeps saying that sexuality is a fluid thing and that I don't know if I'm lesbian. Well, right now I'm pretty damn sure. And I haven't had any experience, but you don't need experience to be straight. I know that my sexuality could change, but she just doesn't understand the fact that when you're so confused about who you are in the first place, when you find a group that you fit into, you hold on tight. I like being a lesbian. I don't see any problem with it, but she insists that I might not be one and that I shouldn't call myself one necessarily because I don't know for sure yet.

So, yesterday I was walking home with her and the topic of dress codes and uniforms came up. And somehow my mom ended up telling me,

"no tattoos, no piercings, and you can't be trans"

She said it twice last night. I thought she was really understanding, and I feel really insulted, not because I am trans, but because she compared it to having tattoos and piercings, which are relatively insignificant choices in life. Choices.

I was so stunned I didn't know what to say. She's never said anything like this before. I just don't know what to do about it. I feel like I need to say something but I don't know what. Opinions?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well you COULD call her out on it, but I warn you now, if she's already jumped to it then she will DEFINITELY assume you are trans if you call her out on that comment...

It's difficult to ask someone WHY that would be a problem without inadvertently suggesting to them that it's going to be a problem soon. I mean when I told my mum I was bi, she immediately said 'as long as you don't start wearing dresses' and I could have slapped her. Instead I walked away from her and started a three month argument about it.

I didn't actually TELL her that I'm trans until long after the argument started, but she went mental anyway and started comparing trans people to god knows how many horrible things. Strange thing is even though she jumped to the conclusion, she still didn't believe I had said it when I told her...denial is weird like that.

On a completely unrelated note, I just wanted to ask about your ideas of being a tattoo artist...not wanting to crap on your dreams or anything but I don't think I'd want ink from someone without ink themselves...not saying everyone is like that it just seems like a bizarre career choice for someone who doesn't want tattoos themself!