1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self harming is getting out of control...don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Belkeseri18, May 9, 2014.

1. Belkeseri18

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I need help. Since coming out of the gay and atheist closet, I've started cutting. I feel like I'm only being tolerated, not understood. My deeply religious and conservative parents constantly remind me that I am am going to hell for being gay. I've lost all of my old friends because they're religious too. I feel like I'm alone, with no one to talk to. And every time I feel like this, I cut. Which scares me, because I know it's wrong, but it makes makes me feel better. What should I do? If my parents knew, they would see be committed to thr nearest psych ward. Any advice would be welcome.:help:

2. newfish

Have a rubber band around your arm. It's easy to conceal, and you can snap it on your arm instead of cutting yourself. Whenever you feel the need to cut, first write about why you feel this way.

We're all here to give you support when you need it. (&&&)

3. Sade

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What should you do? Well, first, stop cutting. I know it might make you feel better now, but in the long run it will push you deeper and deeper into depression. I have conservative and religious parents as well. However, I'm not out to anyone mostly because of a fear that they will somehow find out, and I'm sure they would say I would go to hell much like your parents did.

I suffered through two years of depression due to several factors, and they were not fun. I would constantly ditch school to walk around the city trying to find a way to do myself in—to stop all of the pain. I did find several ways to do it too... but I didn't want a sad ending. I wanted a happy ending. I moved away from my parents, and I eventually pulled myself out of my depression.

I don't have all of the details, but it seems like the type of atmosphere you are in is unhealthy. I know you may love your parents (I still love mine), but you will never love yourself if you continue to live with them. You are eighteen now, so unless you're certain they will change their minds, you should move out. Oh, and if you need to, go see a counselor or psychiatrist about depression.

This is just my experience. Others may have more helpful advice.

4. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel an urge to cut grab some wood and some sandpaper and just start sanding. Take your agression out on the wood instead of yourself.

5. newfish

The thing about cutting is that it's not as simple as something one can just stop. It starts to release tension and stress, and there need to be coping mechanisms to replace it until the temptation is gone.

6. Sade

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm very much aware that it's not something one can just stop doing. I didn't mean for what I said to sound like that. When I went through depression I didn't cut, so I didn't expand on how Belkeseri18 could stop. I was going to leave that up to others who know better. Sorry if there was any sort of misunderstanding.

7. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

What's helped me is instead drawing on myself. Like doing some doodles in pen like on my leg instead of cutting. I started with red pen, now I do blue.

8. Belkeseri18

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I guess my biggest question is should I tell my parents I've been self harming?

9. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Personally I think, that because they are the primary source of your stress and self-harming activities, you shouldn't. That's more that they can use against you. If as was stated previously, you are 18, the best thing that you can do really is to move out. There's no sense in continuing to subject yourself to a toxic home environment.

---------- Post added 9th May 2014 at 03:25 PM ----------

I'm a Christian myself, and even I have struggled with parents trying to force me to have the same opinions and religious beliefs that they have.

It irks me to no end when religious types get it in their heads that they have any right to condemn others for differing beliefs.

#9 Dinah, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  10. Sam2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Awh damn man don't cut yourself! :frowning2: I used to cut a lot, and I understand how the sudden pain takes your mind off whats hurting you(Inside) But cutting isn't the answer. If you cut long enough the skin will become scared and weak, easy to slice deep, deep enough to hit a main vein. And No on wants you to die.

If you really feel the need to feel pain you may be masochistic, and should seek counseling. You could try working out, after all that burns but doesn't slice you up.

As for your parents, Idk exactly how they would react, but it would be much better for you if you explained your situation and that you need help. When i got caught cutting they were going to send me to a psych ward but I agreed to see a therapist everyday. I recommend you tell your parents you are harming yourself because despite what some may say, it is an addiction and addictions are always bad. You have too much to offer to slice yourself up, and it's no fun explaining scars later on in life (Take my word for it)
    Your parents will have to get used to the idea of your sexuality and I'm SURE they would much rather have a gay, atheist son. than a son who committed suicide.

I went through similar problems around that age, (living in the bible belt meant being gay and atheist wasn't ok to everyone else) and if you ever want to talk just message me or post on my wall. I know you can stop cutting but you have to want it. Truly deep down. try to stay positive and keep us posted ok?

11. newfish

All good. :icon_bigg

12. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi there,

I battled self harm for years when I was a teenager. I cut for two years and only stopped when I was literally forced to when I was in a psychiatric ward. The urges were still there after I'd stopped, they still are now even though it's been 7 years since I quit. When I feel like cutting nowadays, I try to do other stuff that, while they're not good for you, they're better than cutting anyway. I sometimes take really hot showers, or turn my music up loud and go running until I feel like throwing up. Sometimes distracting yourself by taking a bath or cleaning your room/apartment also helps. For me the most intense want goes away after an hour or two.

I've relapsed a couple of times since I stopped cutting and it's simply not worth it. I remember the feeling I got after I'd cut myself the first few times I did it and it was wonderful. Then it just turned into an addiction and I couldn't stop. Cutting made me feel bad but I still did it and I couldn't stop. Nowadays when I relapse, I get that same guilty feeling afterwards and realize it's not something I want to have back in my life again.

Also, as for telling your parents...my mom walked in on me practically naked on day, saw my cuts and FREAKED. She's told me that she blamed herself since I wouldn't tell her and that she wishes I'd have told her so that she could have helped me. So yeah, I think you should tell them before the same thing happens to you.

In my opinion, I think it's important for you to get help from someone that isn't your parents. Are you in high school or college? Is there a counselor you could talk to there?

Stay strong (*hug*)

#12 blueskies, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014