1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She thinks it's just a phase...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ChameleonSoul, May 9, 2014.

1. ChameleonSoul

Right now I have a problem with my friend who I came out to recently. When I came out to her at the end of April, she seemed to be fine with me being gay, albeit shocked (my sexuality isn't very obvious). However, when I talked to her today, she said that what I'm going through might just be a phase.

It's obviously not a phase as I've been contemplating it in my head for almost two years now and was in denial for most of it. The fact that my "phase" hasn't gone away by then and has evolved into a fairly strong preference over guys versus girls only reaffirms this. How do I convince her that this isn't a phase and this is who I am? Does anyone have any idea why she's suddenly acting like this?

2. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

I think a lot of people thinking of sexual attraction as a phase comes from lack of understanding. Maybe educate her or provide some recommended books on the subject? I think that the whole idea of a phase is probably one of the things that makes people doubt things so much, and it is very hurtful for people to say it. Attraction is. Understanding of the depth and breadth of attraction may change, but in the end you like what you like. Maybe try and explain that to her? It will only work if she is willing to listen, but what she is saying is not very respectful to you.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try asking her if her sexuality is a phase and how she is sure about it.