1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't let him into my "emotional bubble"

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Lorn, May 10, 2014.

1. Lorn

What is an "emotional bubble", anyway?

I'm curious because this is one of my boyfriend's complaints right now, and from my perspective I let him in all the time. I discussed gender fluidity with him and how I'd been as a child and a teen, I share my creative projects with him and the motivations behind them, and I talk to him when I'm upset. Oftentimes he doesn't prompt me to continue, so I drop it to avoid rambling about boring, obscure things. Sometimes I don't talk, because I'm naturally a private person who mulls over things inside for a long time before directing them outward. I cannot change that.

He's in no position to complain, since he doesn't talk about his feelings unless prompted, and then only sometimes. He thinks that inside the bubble is my "true self". Because I guess discussing the complex nature of dreams in which I'm advised by an old man on my shadow self isn't showing him anything about my true self or deeper emotions. He thinks that inside the bubble are the people I trust unquestioningly, because apparently I should let in people who don't notice or complain about the things I offer them of myself and who never talk about themselves.

My best guess is that he's jealous of some of my friendships where we share a deep intuitive understanding of each other. Problem is, I've known them for years (10 years, in one case) and we either share some pretty meaningful and rare perspectives or have gone through difficult times together. I can't pull that out of thin air for him.

My second best guess is that this is an extension of his OCPD, which is a personality disorder involving an excessive need for control over one's environment.

2. HeavyHeart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I struggle a lot letting my girlfriend in my 'bubble' too. I often times will lash out at her instead of explaining what's really going on. Have you tried explaining to him that for you, it takes time to develop those deep, lasting, bubble-invading relationships? And maybe you're right, maybe his OCPD is the root cause of his insecurities. In that case, you have to decide whether or not you are willing to cope with that.