1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate my friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ilovemylife, May 10, 2014.

1. ilovemylife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have this friend that I cannot stand. Yes, I know it's odd that I call him my friend if I hate him, but we've been friends since forever and is just now being a total douche. I can deal with him in small doses. I'll go see a movie or hang out for a couple hours. But he insists that our time together extends for days.

I don't have a problem with guys who are assholes (can I say that?). I have a ton of actual friends who are assholes. I'm an asshole. But we are assholes because it's just guys messing with each other. This friend, however, is different. He is only an asshole to everyone when his crush is around (surprising, I know). Whenever she compliments me he will insult me and tell me how bad I am at something. It doesn't even have to be pertaining to what we were talking about. As long as it makes me seem inferior, he will say it. I get it, but it pisses me off. He does this to other people, too. I don't really know anyone who genuinely likes him.

Thing is, he is obsessed with me. Literally obsessed. I can't do ANYTHING with ANYONE without him getting jealous. I went to see a movie with another guy friend of mine (who is absolutely gorgeous by the way) and he freaked out. He was pissy the entire week. In addition, he insists that I invite him everywhere. When my and this guy were studying, he invited himself over to study with us on a subject he wasn't even taking... It's gotten to a point where I just ignore his texts and hang out with other people. For some reason though, he is still obsessed even though I blow him off every day. I don't want to tell the guy that I can't stand him and to leave me alone.

I'm in the dilemma of wanting both time away from the guy and still remaining "friends". If I tell him that I need space, he will get pissy and walk away. If I don't I will be constantly having to ignore him. I feel like I should just suck it up for the last 3 months as I am going off to college (I am surprised he didn't apply to every school I applied to...)

This was mainly a rant post, but feel free to give your input, advice, and similar experiences. I'd love to know how to handle this.

Side Note: I am 99% sure he isn't gay. My friend thinks he has a crush on me, but I don't think so. The guy is just extremely clingy.

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right. You're leaving for college in 3 months so just suck it up if you dont like him.

But, I have to admit, I did think that he may have a little crush on you when reading this through. Whether he is fully gay or not is another question but, like you said, he is obsessed by you...

Have you thought of coming out to him? You are leaving in 3 months so it could be good practice. Or are you worried it could get back to your family / endanger you in some way? Are you planning on coming out in college btw?

3. ilovemylife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've questioned his sexuality before. But it never really interested me enough to pry. You know what I mean?

And I've thought about coming out to him a few times. He is a supporter of everything LGBT. It's just that I don't really trust him. He's the kind of person to get pissed off at me and then go tell everyone. Or better yet, go tell his crush about me anyway. Just to make sure she doesn't have feelings for me anymore. He considers me his closest friend, so it will hurt him when he finds out he wasn't the first to know, but that's not my problem.

As for the college thing, I haven't really made a decision yet. In fact, I have debated coming out completely before even heading to college. Everyone I know I am pretty sure will be fine with it. I have no worries about support. I just don't know how to let the masses know. I'm against the idea of a facebook post or a tweet. I'm leaning towards just telling the majority of people I care about and then just being open if they ask. But that's only if I plan on it. My friend says to not say anything to the people here and just show up to our 10 year high school reunion with my husband haha

4. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think the best thing to do is tell him how much it upsets you when he gets all jealous and mad at you. Tell him you cant handle it and that your not his boyfriend. That way your not shutting him out completely and risking him retaliating and doing something stupid. Maybe he will calm down a bit so you can get through the next few months without going nuts.

5. Lil Shorty

I think he is gay but doesn't want to admit it and is shy about it. But you only have 3 months left so just push through this

6. ilovemylife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Whenever he beats me at something, he always looks at me, smiles, and says "Suck it". I don't mind that too much. It can actually be pretty funny.
    Anyways, for the past four years, him and I have been competing for the spot of Valedictorian at our high school. He was number 1 until literally the day before graduation (today). The principal brought both of us into her office and said that I beat his GPA by 0.003 points. I cannot tell you the joy it brought me when, as we walked out together, I looked at him, smiled, and said "Suck it". He won't speak to me now. So I guess mission accomplished.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations! My school was a little more lenient because it was "big", so we had multiple valedictorians, and I was fortunate to be one of them.