1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about disappointing my family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Acm, May 11, 2014.

1. Acm

Acm Guest

I really want to come out to my family (or at least my mom) as trans it's getting harder to do this. I'm especially worried about my relationship with my mom, we're very close and she's sort of like a best friend as well as a mom? But I know she would be really upset because I used to have a trans friend and she once told me she was "glad I wasn't like that." She's very supportive of LGBT people and always used the right name/pronouns for my trans friend, and she would correct other on it but I know it would be really hard for her if I was trans.

Everyone else in my family has made transphobic remarks at some point. My brother said if I was trans it would be "weird and gross." Whenever I'm with my grandparents now I just think about how they would never want to see me again if they knew and it makes me really upset...last night I had a nightmare where I was outed to everyone and it was so vivid I woke up and my heart was pounding. :icon_sad:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The problem is that since you're not out, they have no reason to change their viewpoints. Sure, they may be upset/disappointed at first, but they should eventually come around. Remember that they really have no right to be disappointed. You being their child doesn't make you obligated to deny your true self. That's not love.

Think about Cher. Even though she was so famous and popular with the LGBT community, she still found it hard at first to learn her child was trans. But, now she is his biggest advocate and an advocate for all trans people.