1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go Back In The Closet

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bornthiswaybby, May 11, 2014.

1. bornthiswaybby

I've been so stressed lately. My Dad is in denial and completely does not accept that fact that I'm gay and he is telling himself that when I'm out with friends (whom are all females) that I am banging them and all this. The other day, I told my Mom it was ridiculous that he was in denial and I said it was stupid that we never discussed it and she said that me being gay is "awkward". I know it sounds like a small comment, but her saying that hurt me so much. I stormed out of the room. I'm a high school kid who is being FORCED to stay in the closet because my parents are ashamed. It hurts. I've never felt so low and I wish I was straight. Life would be easier. I'm so upset

2. KittySaysHi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm really sorry that your parents don't accept it. I understand how you feel though, and it was very brave of you to tell them. They will more than likely accept you with time. Be strong! Keep us posted, and hope everything works out! :slight_smile:

3. bornthiswaybby

I'll just add the fact that I told them about a year ago and they still haven't accepted it! ^^ but thank you :slight_smile:

4. blueberrymuffin

You're 17. No you don't have to stay in the closet cause of your parents. You can tell the kids at school, or friends, or a counselor, and so on. Someday soon you'll be moving away out of their jurisdiction and make these choices the same way. If they're in denial they will be just the same after you come out to others.

It makes me wonder if you're at some level afraid you'll get a similar reaction from others, and that's whats blocking you. That was brave what you did and i'm sorry this happened but keep in mind, they didn't disown you, didn't attack you. You'll be just fine. Don't worry bout your parents so much and just move on to telling others, if that's what you want. Best luck!

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, you can't choose your family, but you can choose your friends, and often LGBT kids subconsciously have friends who would be supportive.

Also, you should tell your parents that their homophobia is awkward, hurtful, etc.

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry they're are being a pain to you.
    Don't let them stop you live your life. You don't need to listen to them.
    Just enjoy the good things about your parents for the time being, and ignore their lack of acceptance. You can move out soon anyway.