1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for friends online

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mitchell, May 13, 2014.

1. Mitchell

Hi,

My therapist today suggested I try to meet some people local online, talk for a bit, then meet up in person.

Has anyone done this before? Is it difficult to do?

2. Kesha

Kesha Guest

Well I just did this today and ended up talking to some great people so just keep trying you'll get there I don't think we could like meet up cuz I'm 13 but I'm positive that you will find some amazing people on this website so stay strong and keep it up!

3. Mitchell

Don't necessarily even mean this website, nor do I even mean that the others have to be gay.... just need to make friends.

4. igoloo2946

Lol your solcilizing with people right now, we can be friends :slight_smile:. take that to your theraphist and tell her to eat it. :slight_smile:

5. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. :slight_smile:

My boyfriend went through the exact same thing around 2 years ago. I'll see if I can get him to give some advice at some point soon.

6. Mitchell

Thanks... Trying to make friends.

7. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think socializing would be good to help develop more social skills and to also build lasting relationships.

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No it's easy.

9. blightedsight

The problem is that it's neither easy nor hard.
    I joined a free online dating/meeting website with the explicit idea of meeting new people and becoming friends.

First a bit of background.
    In March 2012 I was in such a dark and joyless place that I actually attempted to take my own life. Obviously I was unsuccessful in the attempt, but the fact I was at such a place scared me.
    It made me reevaluate my life. I was, for want of a better term, a hermit. I lived my entire life in my room. I had some "good friends" but they were all online. I believe that some people can and do have quality relationships with people online but for me, I needed the physical contact, I needed to look into someones eyes and not a computer screen.
    After seeing a doctor about my attempt, I decided to join the aforementioned website and see what I could do.
    It was so hard at first because I had no idea what I was looking for and I was also kind of worried that people would assume that I was hitting on them when all I really wanted was a friend.
    I managed to write a rather long profile that detailed who I was(Robert still hasn't read the whole thing!!!) and what I wanted from people.
    I waited ages for people to message me, but few people did, and, quite frankly, the people who did were only after one thing...sex shhh.
    I decided that if I wanted to meet people I had to message them. I started searching for people in my immediate area and then send nice messages to them, giving them a bit of information about myself(never ever just say 'hi' or 'hey'), comment on something on their profile that I either thought amusing or that I had in common with them and basically tell them what I wanted.
    Most people responded and I had some conversations.
    It took time but eventually I sussed out which conversations were building to a real world meet and which were merely friendly responses for online.
    I then started suggesting to the people I was building friendships with that we could meet in the local town centre for coffee.
    They agreed.
    I won't lie to you, I was extremely nervous when arranging the meet ups. I was worried they wouldn't turn up. I was anxious that they would and turn out to be completely different. I was scared that they would get the wrong impression of me.
    All of those issues went out of the window when I met the first person and we just had fun.

I realised that it can be very rewarding to do this, and my life changed, almost immediately, because finally I had friends who wanted to spend real time with me.

I hope this helps.