1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like a friend.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Lightning Bolt, May 14, 2014.

1. I have this friend that I like who I'm texting but he doesn't seem to text back much. I wouldn't consider us as close friends although I do want to be close to him. He doesn't know I'm gay and I don't know if he's gay. He's shown no signs of being gay as far as I can tell other than being nice to me. I want to ask if we can hang out sometime but I don't want to seem too pushy if he doesn't want to. Also, I live in a pretty conservative state so a lot of people here are homophobic including my parents.

Basically, I want to know if you think it would be worth it to try and pursue him as something more than a friend—or even just as a close friend. I've always wanted someone who I could talk to about secret and personal things. I usually just keep everything bottled up because none of my family or friends can understand what I'm going through.

I have an older cousin who is married to a gay man, and those in my family usually make negative remarks about him such as "he's disgusting" or "it's a pity he wasn't raised better because he could have become an amazing person." As for my other friends, regarding gays in general, they usually say things like "what a fag," "that is so gay," or "do this or your gay." They are such hypocrites about it too because even though they think gay guys are disgusting abominations they like it when two girls kiss each other.

I just hate society.:icon_sad:

2. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think that you should find out if this person is gay as well. That is the first thing that you need to find out before deciding if you should pursue him and try and become more than friends with him.

3. That's a part of the problem though. I don't know how I would be able to find out if he's gay or not other than asking him. He doesn't go around telling gays to leave him alone, but he could still be a little homophobic. Most of the people where I live are like that. It's so hard to trust anyone to accept me for who I am. I'm scared that everyone will reject me, but at the same time I don't want to be alone anymore.