1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

He broke up with me..for now, how can I fix this?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by tulipinacup, May 15, 2014.

1. tulipinacup

I'm very sorry for asking for advice on this one but I'm really desperate. I'm in (or maybe was) in a 3 year long distance relationship with someone. He lives in Europe and I live around Asia. We've met on a chat site (not really a dating chat site) and we started to become really close until we ended up becoming boyfriends. 2 years ago, we decided to meet together in our place. No one knew about our relationship since we both are closeted. My boyfriend always wanted a no lying relationship and there shouldn't be secrets kept.

I never told him about the time where my cousin and I messed around when we were around 14 but we've only done oral together but never anal (I know it's gross) but that was when I was still discovering my sexuality and I've only mentioned this a week ago. He wasn't uncomfortable about what my cousin and I did but was seriously bothered that I never told him about this. He didn't like that I lied to him about not having any sexual experience with anyone.

My boyfriend has OCD in a way that it gives him obsessive thoughts about something that is negative and consequently he mentioned that he had to do breathing exercises from it after what I said to him.

I am deeply concerned with his well-being. There was another thing in which I never told him about. I have been web camming with strangers online and done some sex acts. It was more of a no-strings attached kind of thing and I never gotten close with them since I just went there to ease off my sexual urges. I was already guilty upon doing this since I know that I am screwing things up so I ended it. I stopped going to webcam chats and decided not to tell my bf about this ( I did this around January and I stopped doing it around February).

But these past few weeks. My conscience was eating me up. It kept telling me to tell it to my boyfriend about this and he deserved the truth and deep inside I know the he knows since his intuition is mega strong. I confessed about it last Monday. At first he was telling me it's ok but as I tell him all about it, he said he was breaking up with me..for now. He said he needed some space. I asked him if he still loves me and he didn't say anything. He said he couldn't trust me and I was a liar.

I love him so much but I know what I did was so stupid. I've been crying since the breakup and we even planned on meeting again this July. I tried messaging him again and was asking if there's a chance to get back again and wrote this:

"you’ve lied so many times.
    i know deep down you mean well, but this was something i told you from the start… no lies
    "there’s no turning back. i will never trust your word again.. it’s not my choice, remember that. you made it that way.
    you broke my trust, broke your promise and you were selfish
    please get professional help about your sexual fetishes and tell your mom about everything that happened. maybe that would be good."
    i messaged you everything i had to say

now give me space, please. i need space"

I was willing to do anything. He has made a lot of sacrifices for me and all I did was to screw his life. I never lied about loving him and I never did. When he said these things to me, It felt like I didn't have the right to move on and deserved to not be happy for the rest of my life. I was willing to change myself.

I had three things that I needed to do: Do not be selfish, Do not lie , Do not break promises. I really really love him and I always regret the wrong decisions that I made. I do not want to accept that everything's over. At this point I don't care if we aren't getting back together. I just wanted to make him happy again and I do not where to start.

2. White Knight

I think your boyfriend sounds reasonable.

When trust is lost in a relationship it is hard to mend it back. You've lied so many times is the killer line here. You should have tought those things before sacrificing everything you cherish for.

What you can do is learn your lesson. Move on with your life and remember that lesson in future relationships.

In my opinion the best thing you can do for your boyfriend is giving him that time... even that means never seeing/contacting him again... he wanted. At least he deserve that much. Love is about knowing when to hold on and when to let go.

3. tulipinacup

I talked to my friend (who knows both of us on that chat site) and he told me this is very minor? I didn't really see any hope from it but what changed my mind was when he was telling me that when he mentioned about his ex boyfriend who cheated on him, my boyfriend insisted on forgiving him. My friend truly believes we can get back together and said He couldn't give up on me easily. You're right, giving him that time is probably the best thing I can do from here.

4. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Give him time, let him make the decision.
    And if that decision is not in your favour, then you will have to accept it.

Alas, I'd say you better try to pull yourself together and deal with the consequences of your actions. Being LGTB doesn't free you of responsibility or gives you a hall pass.
    And what is minor or major is a personal thing. What seems minor to one person can be major to someone else.

So better yourself for your next partner. Or the one that left you, IF he wants you back.
    Learn from this experience. Making mistakes is fine as long as you learn from them, and take responsibility.

#4 Black Raven, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  5. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Speaking from experience of being cheated on countless times (I would classify what you did as cheating) I would suggest that if you want to see him happy give him space and let him move on. After I was cheated on I couldn't look at the other person te same way again and if your ex feels that way then your relationship won't be the same and it may be unlikely either of you wants to end it because of the temptation to cling onto what you once had.
    I agree with what someone above mentioned, you give him time and if he decides it's not possible then learn from your mistakes and move one, it's only fair to respect hai wishes.

In my opinion webcamming sexual acts is major not minor and I wot be surprised if it takes him a lot of time to know what he wants.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly -- and this will sound harsh -- he set some very clear "dealbreaker" terms. You acknowledged them, and then broke them.

Authenticity is, at least to me, the most important thing that matters in a relationship. He, apparently, agrees. And I think for someone in that circumstance, there isn't much that can be said or done to fix the relationship.

I would suggest you take this as a valuable lesson and let him go and move on.

7. tulipinacup

I appreciate with what you guys all said. He messaged me earlier and he pretty much confirmed that we are not getting back together. He says we can be friends but it's very unlikely that we will be in a relationship since it will turn out to be shitty.

I truly regret everything I did but moving on is probably a great idea.

8. tulipinacup

So he messaged me again.
    He said he won't ever forget the things I did to him and said he's very angry which is completely understandable.

He pretty much told me anything that I deserved to be heard or told but one thing that truly made me feel more ashamed of who I am was when he said that he doesn't think I will ever change, that I will keep on hurting other people and that I was selfish because of this, that I will never stop lying.

This hurt me so much because it probably is true. I won't ever change of being who I am. That I'm bound to hurt other people. I hated myself more because of this but I want to prove to myself, I want to prove to him that I can really change and it doesn't matter if we do get back together seeing as which it's not really possible anymore.

I try to change. I try to do to a little cleaning in our house, I help my sister fix her room and try not to raise my voice at my dad. I haven't been on any dirty websites ever since and trying to be careful not to make others upset because of me.

At this point he doesn't have to forgive me because I feel like I don't deserve it at all, not from all of the crap that I have given on him.

#8 tulipinacup, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People can get over being selfish and lying. But it requires time, effort, and a lot of self-work. You might be best to let go of worrying about this person and what he says and put your energy on bettering yourself.

10. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, the fact that he had to do breathing exercises because you revealed some sexual acts between you and your cousin when you were a kid - which kind of doesn't count to anyone with perspective - indicates that he has an unusually strict way of seeing the world. Maybe you guys are not that compatible and aren't meant to be in a relationship?

11. tulipinacup

It's the OCD that is causing him to not breathe regularly. He was my first and I really do think we were meant to be, it's just that I have made a huge mistake and wanting to change that for him and for me.

12. PalestrinaMX

Please, move on. Yes, what you did with the webcam is wrong, for sure. But he is taking it way too far, with all of those mean things he said about you. Saying that "you'll never change".... that's just mean. He's talking like you did something tragic, you cheated, and it is wrong, but what he said is extreme. If you ask me, he sounds very controlling.

I'm definitely not condoning what you did, but he is being extreme.

13. tulipinacup

Not that I'm defending him or anything but he did tell me that I will never change and I only will if I stop being selfish, I would just like to clarify that one and yes, I will try to move on from this mess I made. I hope I get to figure out my life as well since I should have gotten a job but was delayed because we were supposed to meet together this year.

14. tulipinacup

So here's a little bit of an update from all this. I tried to message him again and said that I don't mind if we aren't boyfriends anymore but I asked if we can still be friends at least and he said that he needs plenty of alone time first and that if we start talking now, we both will suffer more.

He said he can still be my friend but he's still hurt and doesn't see me as he once did.

I think he really wants me to talk to my mum about everything but I'm still apprehensive about it because I cannot financially support myself incase she disowns me.

15. CuteZhemn

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well.. I think that kinda guy wont be right for u. He is way too strict and controlling and ofc cheating is bad but we all do mistakes.Also you can move on and you can change with effort. There is no reason to listen mean things what he say. If he cant stop that why would u guys be friends? First crush and break down feels really bad when you lose it but there is much more fish in the sea. Its no use saying "but i want him" cuz later you probably wont. Cherish good memories about him. :slight_smile:

16. tulipinacup

UPDATE:
    Apparently he read my diary blog which I never knew he was following. He's read some of the things I mentioned from this forum and now he's angry again because he read the part where he was "manipulative" and "controlling" because he thought I'm making him the bad guy in this in which I NEVER said he was. I never blamed him for anything and I always acknowledged that I lied and cheated on him which he thinks I'm only feeling guilty because he flew all the way from here but I feel guilty with what everything that happened.

He thinks I mentioned all of these things publicly but I never did. I posted this ANONYMOUSLY online.

It may seem that I just made things worse. I do not know what to do anymore, seems like leaving him alone for good was the best idea but apparently I screwed him again on this. I feel like I can't do anything right anymore.

17. Hyaline

The things that you did online wouldn't even register as a minor for me. But my relationship with my hubby is our own. We have a no lying policy too. We had an incident a few years ago where that trust was broken and we worked through it. We let it go and moved on, but we had 3 years of living together to build off of. Every person I dated had a different set of "things" that were ok and not ok. If he said they were not ok, then they weren't and you broke it and he feels wronged. And he should, he has every right to feel that way.

As far as writing about it publically, or even pseudo-anonymously, he has to understand that you still need to work out your guilt as well. Even though you were the one at fault, doesn't exclude you from having an emotional stake in this. If he thinks he is the only one with emotional feelings then, well, he has a lot to learn about relationships and people. But it sounds like you both have quite a bit to learn.

Step away and leave him be. Nothing good can come from chasing him at this point. It sounds like he has made his position crystal clear and now, if you care about him, you need to actually follow through and do what he asked you to do this time.

Hang in there, there are lots of other boys to chase after... question is finding one that loves you even when you want to webcam with some stranger online... And they are out there. Just be honest about that stuff from the start. You'll find that your relationship will be stronger if everyone knows what is going on.

18. tulipinacup

I really needed this. Thank you for your advice, I have already decided to disconnect from him for a while and even talked to one of our friends (since my ex is blaming him and he thought he was the one who was saying that he was "controlling" and I don't want anymore misunderstandings)that we aren't going to talk to each other for a while.

I vowed myself to stop all of the shitty things I did in the past and I'm trying to become a better person.

19. Hyaline

Keep in mind that what he called "cheating" online isn't considered a shitty thing if it is honestly discussed and agreed upon in a relationship. I have plenty of conversations with people I know as does my partner. We share and its a fun part of being sexual beings. We have strict rules about acting on it in person, but these were decided long ago when we first started dating.. Anyways, this isn't about me, but I wanted it to serve as an example to show that not everyone feels the same way your ex does...

Please don't let this person's concept of a relationship taint your next relationship. You may discover that the person you need in your life isn't at all what you thought. But I do have to stress to be honest. Everything you did can be gauged when you first begin to talk. If you can live with the point in which they draw the line in the sand, then you'll be fine. but learn to live within that line. But don't change your values and sway too far from what you really believe because ultimately, you'll end up being at odds with it again.

20. tulipinacup

I still do care and love him but I guess our relationship isn't going to work out at all. I've planned a lot of things in our future so much that I don't think I would be with another person anymore and seeing as which I'm afraid that I end up hurting other people with my mistakes. He said he still cares for me but what triggered him again was the things I posted on that diary blog which I ultimately deleted.