1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can parents change?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by XenaxGabby, May 17, 2014.

1. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Over the past 10 years I've come out to my mom a bunch of times but she refuses to accept it and remains in denial because she still talks about my future husband. I would like to come out to her once and for all in the next few months. I know what her reaction will be though. Is it possible that with enough time she could become accepting?

2. thelamekidd

Out Status:
    Some people
    10 years? Wow. It is possible for parents to change and eventually accept their children. I say give her a choice, "you can either accept me and stay in my life" or "If you refuse to respect me as a young adult, I don't know if I can see you anymore." Really put your foot down this time and let her know that this is who you are, and you won't change.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, you need to try something different.

4. Sure, it's possible. And you can try whatever you need to try to see if she'll have a change of heart. AND, I'm all for cutting toxic relationships from your life as much as possible if that's what it takes for you to be okay.

But whatever happens, if she doesn't change that is completely on her, not on you. (*hug*)

5. juliegt6

They can but not all do. Like any major change in life, the only way it's gonna happen is if they want to change.

My parents came around to the trans, but it took 4 years. They never cared about my sexual orientation though, but I guess competitively it doesn't seem like much after coming out as trans!

6. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I don't talk to my father often, once a week at best. but he still calls me my birth name which is bleh... but he still talks to me which is... well could be worse.
    My mother took a few weeks to come around (mainly because of self-guilt) but now she treats me like a daughter; shopping trips, girls day out. sometimes I can't help but feel it is to make up for her "short-comings" but... her love is still love =3

7. Aeriestars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To me, people look at coming out the wrong way. Most of us see coming out as a huge ordeal that only involve ourselves and our own feelings too - but a parent has dreams for their child that are as important to them as the dreams we have for ourselves. I'm not saying that everything parents do when it comes to these dreams for us are right, but it's something I believe more people should factor. Coming out is am experience that's supposed to make two people closer, like a bond. If it's not going to help the situation then don't do it. If your mother wants to stay in denial, let her. It's what makes her happy, you know? Like honestly I find it kind of awkward to talk to my parents about who I'm in a relationship with anyways. But, that's just my take on it.