1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find a girl you like.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Toast, May 17, 2014.

1. Toast

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How do I go about finding another girl who is sort of like me, as in, similar interests, who would be interested in a homosexual relationship? I feel like, especially now, in high school, I'm most likely to meet straight girls. I mean, I'm not exactly looking for a relationship right now, but in a few years, how do I go about meeting the right girl? How do I know if she's straight or gay without asking? I'm always so afraid of being a fool or putting other people in awkward situations.

2. Tetra

This is what I've been wondering for at least a year now. I know a lot of people meet each other online, but in my hometown, I don't see how so many people find partners.
    I guess campus is a good place as well, so maybe joining groups? I know my university has a Super Smash Bros. group that I was considering joining, or I guess the obvious option of LGBTQ groups that a lot of campuses have?

3. A couple things--high school is a hard time to find someone. The dating pool is limited as it is, without the issue of whether there are any people in your school that aren't straight. (AND even if they aren't straight, have they come out to themselves or anyone else yet? maybe not...)

Being college aged is a much easier time for dating. A couple tips that helped me in the past:

If you're in college, the LGBT+ group/center/whathaveyou is a good place to start since you know that at least some of those people aren't straight. You can't know without asking unless someone is really advertising it, but it's easier to find out because so many people in those groups are open about their sexuality. These people are going to be a lot less weird about you asking who they're into.

ALSO, join groups/take classes/hang out in places where other people who are interested in what you're interested are. If you're into badminton, join an intramural team. If you're interested in video games, join the video games club. There are usually a ton of extracurriculars that don't require a lot from you, but you can go and meet people who like what you like. And if there is one person who's not straight and totally single there, odds are there could be more!

If you meet someone gay and you're friends with them, organize something fun where they can invite more friends along. Lots of us meet through friends of friends. If you make a bunch of friends, your network grows and boom! suddenly there are single people you're interested in! Mostly, just meet people, make friends and get to know their friends genuinely and with the sincere intent of making friends. Meeting someone you're interested in dating is a lot easier that way.

Or you could go the online route! To be honest I have absolutely no experience in this department, but someone else around here might!