1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freshmen and Seniors dating?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by theskyiseverywhere, May 18, 2014.

1. theskyiseverywhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, so i like someone and he likes me back. We want to date but we are going to wait until I'm in high school. Then i will be a freshmen and he will be a senior. Do you think this is ok? I really do love him. Also how can I convince my parents that it's okay? I don't know how they will feel about it. Thoughts?

2. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry I'm from England so please forgive my ignorance, how old are seniors/freshman?

3. Saint Otaku

The age difference is typically around 3 years, give or take a few months.

4. StillHere

I've seen it happen and I don't really judge them. Personally I wouldn't date a senior as a freshmen but that's just me. There are a lot of people who would and it's your choice to.

I say go for it.

5. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your parents likely wont think its OK because, typically, in these types of situations the older person can/does take advantage of the younger person.

If you were my daughter I would be concerned and I would encourage you to wait until you're a little older with a little more experience before you start dating someone who is so much more older than you. Having said that, I would also tell you that if you absolutely have to date this person, that I would want you to be open about it and not, say, meet him in any place where your friends and/or family are not nearby. And I would want you to be honest and open with me about everything happening in your relationship.
    The reason for this is that its easy to be manipulated by someone when this kind of age difference is there. Be extremely careful of this. You may think you're mature and blah blah blah, but, really, in a few years you'll look back at your 14 year old self and think how immature you were back then.

Your parents wont understand... But I cant advise you not to tell them because, really, you need support from somewhere from people you know IRL who are more experienced than you in relationships.

The decision is up to you. But I really would advise against entering in to this relationship... But then again I dont know the guy and I dont know you. All I can do is look at the numbers. 14 year old girl... 17 year old guy... If I was a betting man, I would put money on something going wrong.

6. Lukas17

If you're happy with him that shouldn't be any problem and the age gap isn't huge, only around 3 yrs which is okay and acceptable, that's only my opinion about age gap.
    And what parents might say is the other thing, they could support you but also forbid this relationship so it's all to you what you should do and I hope everything's gonna be perfect between your future boyfriend, you and your family. (*hug*)

7. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would be cautious about this.
    Your parents will most likely not be okay with it, and I think you should think a bit harder about it yourself.

You say that you love this guy, but you haven't even started dating? You just like each other.
    Don't rush into these things. It's easy to do at your age, so I understand your position.

He may only be three years older than you, but those three years are a critical growth period for young people. He will be much more mature than you, have much different interests, and most likely will have a lot of stress to deal with when he goes to college and you're still in your sophomore year of high school.

I would advise against this relationship. There are other guys out there; most importantly, ones closer to your age/maturity.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the US, seniors (grade 12) are usually 17-18 and freshmen are 14-15. The freshman age depends on the school. Some US high schools have grades 9 to 12, while others have 10 to 12.