1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

helping a religious Parent

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by thoughtbubble, May 19, 2014.

1. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello everyone, hope you are all having a great day. :slight_smile:
    I came out to my mom back in December. She told me that it was my life, and that she still loves me. Everything has been the same,she has not changed at all.

I have a boyfriend, but my mom doesnt seem to like him. She always gets mad when he is around (she does not say anything, but I can tell). I have told her how great he is, and that he is not bad. That is when I realized its not him who she doesnt like, its the "boyfriend" idea. My grandmother was extremely religious and conservative, so it makes sense that some of those thoughts still linger with my mom. My mom is not too religious but she is still a catholic. She explained that she does not want to go to hell for condoning my behavior. At a different time, i could really see that she was trying to change her mind set. We were just talking and she told me that she thinks of all the things my grandma told her were sins. She just said that its hard for her because she has been told that being gay is a sin. I love my mom and boyfriend and i just wish there was a way i could help my mom.
    Have any of you been through this? any suggestions on what i can do?

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ultimately, you need to convince her that your sexuality is not a "lifestyle" but something inborn, and you did not choose to be gay, so it must be God's will. Moreover, you should focus on the love that you have for your boyfriend is no different than the love of a heterosexual couple.

3. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thank you Resu, I will try that.