1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does my dad hate homosexuality or the 'gay lifestyle'?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by falcenav, May 23, 2014.

1. falcenav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One of my biggest issues with coming out is that my father tends to make homophobic comments. (My mom has told me that she'd love me no matter what---she isnt an issue.)

But whenever my dad makes these comments, he bashes the way stereotypical gay men act. Talking in the signature voice, flutting and prancing around, being dyed different colors.

I do not intend to act anything like a stereotypical gay man; I honestly get annoyed by some of these people. When I come out, the only thing that others should notice as different about me is that I like guys. You cant really suspect me to be gay, I act like a straight teenage boy would. (Except no dumb nike socks or monster drinks.)

Do you have any experience with this? I dont know if I could soften the blow by telling him that I wont change other than liking boys instead of girls. He's said, "If youre bringing home a boy, dont come home at all", to me. (I've been wrestling with accepting myself for years now, and I've concluded that I'm just not wired to like girls. Full homo, here.) He's also Christian, but was raised Catholic.

So what are your experiences with coming out to homophobic fathers? Anything would be helpful.

2. Gen

Gen

He is purely homophobic. He wouldn't have made those statements about your future partner if it was merely about stereotypes; though he actions aren't acceptable either way. Whether he holds judgment for stereotypicallu gay men or homosexuality in general, there is no reason for his attitude.

The idea of accepting homosexuals, but judging those that fall into stereotypes is no less ignorant.

3. falcenav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not really looking for whether his actions are moral or not. Im wondering, "Would it help if I assured him I'd stay "straight" acting?" and also what others experiences are with this. I dont need someone telling me my father is a jerk and ignorant---I still love him. I dont appreciate your response.

4. Kenaria

My dad is rather homophobic as well, and my mom is a lot like yours.

I think (being out to my family), that my father is comforted by the fact that I'm not out flaunting myself femininely in front of men and wearing pink scarves and joining cheer leading.

Your dad sounds a lot more homophobic than mine, but yes... I do think it would help your father come to terms with the fact that you are indeed gay by assuring him and proving it to him that you're not what society views a gay man as.

5. Gen

Gen

I don't know what you expected, nor how you found my post insensitive when you admit to his actions being ignorant. If you thought that I was judging your family, then understand that there is no judgment on my part. There are plenty of individuals in my family who share those same mindsets. Although I still wish them the best to some degree, I have no problem with admitting that the beliefs that they hold are indeed ignorant and detrimental to others. Regardless, as I said earlier:
    This line makes it clear that he doesn't want to accept your sexuality no matter how you express yourself. My point in speaking on the morality of his mindset is that if this type of attitude is something that he holds to other demographics as well, then it might be best to accept that you will often receive narrow minded views from him. It's a sad fact of life, but it is just the case with some people.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's okay to be masculine, but it's not okay to set yourself up as being better than feminine or more stereotypical gay guys. That's being an elitist, where some gays are somehow more acceptable because they follow heteronormative standards. The problem, as gen mentioned, is that the most extreme homophobes don't care about how straight-acting you are. They think in terms of "gay = unmanly", plain and simple.

Honestly, how you responded to Gen's reply suggests you may have internalized a lot of your dad's homophobia, as well. I know you love him, but he is not showing his love by his actions.

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think assuring him you wouldn't act like other gay guys would help. If anything you would only be reaffirming his notions about gay people--which would likely prevent him ever accepting you. I think, in fact, that gay people that do that in general--compare themselves unfavorably to "all those queens"--do the community and themselves more disservice than they realize. I think they put it out there that being gay is something to be ashamed of where someone can pick it up and say basically "see even gay people think it's something to be ashamed of," and then they wonder why the people around them don't accept the fact that they are gay. I don't think in their heart of hearts that most straight people are able to fully separate you as a gay person from "gay people." Every time you speak disapprovingly of gay people you give the people around you permission to think badly of you. If you really want the people around you to not have a problem with gay people the first step is to stop telescoping the idea that you have a problem with gay people.

8. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any progress?

9. mangotree

People who appear homophobic Vs how they are after I come out to them always surprises me (so far). It certainly looks like homophobia on the surface, but it's difficult to know for sure, 100% of the time.

Personally, I think it depends on how loving your father is and whether fear or love is the strongest force inside him.

My Dad was really homophobic and used horrible language and "offensive" names (poof, fag, limp wrists etc..).
    After coming out though, he confided in me that the cause was his fear, ignorance, inexperience and basically never actually knowing any gay people personally (before me that is).

He still doesn't really understand why some gay guys are camp and others aren't, but now days he's the kind of person that doesn't care if he doesn't understand something and accepts it until he has the knowledge to decide one way or the other. Doesn't look like your Dad is that way though, which probably makes my entire post a moot point.
    Just an alternate angle anyway.

Hope it hasn't confused you even more.

Peace be with you.