1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you fall in love?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by kenm, May 24, 2014.

1. kenm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello,

I recently posted my coming out story when realising that what I have been longing for years is someone to love. The dream is love at first sight. In reality it would be interesting to know if you became friends first and then become sexually attracted and fell in love, as opposed to falling in love with a crush.

It made me wonder, how did you fall in love?

We all look around for a cute guy/girl to talk to but is that really the way to go?

Kenm(&&&)

2. DangerAlex

I posted how my boyfriend and I fell for each other in more detail in its own thread (you can read it here if you'd like), but I'll give you the short-and-sweet of it.

We met almost a year ago exactly at the very end of May. We became fast friends. For the next couple months, we hung out a lot and got to know each other. He was married with a toddler and had just decided, with his wife of course, that he wanted to get a divorce. I was still trying to get over an apocalyptic breakup that occurred several years before--she cheated on me with two of her exes, told me she was pregnant and the baby may or may not be mine, and dumped me. So we both turned to each other for support as our friendship grew.

By August, I was realizing I might have feelings for him... romantic feelings. He was someone I was pretty much always either talking to (texting, or talking on the phone) or hanging out with.

Interestingly, neither of us had ever had romantic feelings for the same sex before. As I said, he was married and I was still trying to get over my slutty ex-girlfriend, who I'd considered the love of my life. We were closeted or suppressing feelings for the same sex; we both had literally always been straight.

One night I'd been hanging out at his house and before I knew it, it was time for me to leave so he could go to bed. He walked me to the door where we always said our goodbyes, but instead of walking out the door I hesitated and turned to look at him again. He was leaning against the wall about four feet away with his arms crossed, just smiling at me; it was such a warm smile, and I realized I really cared about him. I cared about him more than I'd ever cared for another friend. "I probably even love him too," I thought to myself.

So I walked over to him, grabbed him by his hips, pulled him close to me, and I kissed him. It wasn't a long kiss--probably no more than like 20 seconds--, but it was intense. I opened his mouth with my lips and felt him breathe into mine. When we pulled back to look at each other, we smiled and I left.

As I was driving through his neighborhood headed home, he texted me that he was glad that happened. I replied that I was too. In the days that followed, we never really talked about that kiss, but the context of our relationship definitely changed. We began flirting with each other, holding hands, sitting close, cuddling, and of course more kisses. Without explicitly discussing it, we both just accepted that we were a couple.

Over time we did talk about it of course. We both agree that that first kiss is when our relationship truly began.

And we've been together nine months as of a few days ago :slight_smile:

3. Minnie

1st time - build up of seeing her weekly-ish, she was so nice, so beautiful... :3
    2nd time - I was drunk, I danced with them, and at the end of the night I felt I'd met someone amazing. Now they're with someone else.
    Still waiting to fall in love and be with the person I fall in love with!!!

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can chalk me up as in the "first sight" camp. We met in a bar and I felt pretty confident within a week or so that he might very well be the one--we'd both been with quite a few people but we both almost immediately knew this was different. It's weird you spend your whole life building that list of attributes your Prince Charming will have and then one day there's just this guy (don't get me wrong we're both pretty awesome--but so are a lot of people) and you realize he's the one, no real idea why except something deep in your soul just clicks. We've been together for sixteen years and every morning I wake up more in love than I was the previous day...

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've just recently started seeing a guy I met on a dating site. When he messaged me I saw his profile and I thought "he's not normally the type I go for but he seems nice and like we have stuff in common, so I'll give him a shot." All through our first date, I thought we had a great interpersonal connection but I didn't get any of those warm fuzzy feelings. Then we had a quick kiss goodbye and that's when I felt it. Fast forward a few weeks later and I feel like the happiest, luckiest guy in the world.

I never went into online dating looking for love, and I certainly didn't fall in love with this guy the second I saw him. But the love is definitely building and I'm so freaking glad that it has.

6. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello, I have never had the "love at first sight" moment but that might just be because I have to be emotionally attracted to someone before I can love them.
    My first love was a coworker of mine. I had been working there for several months. We were good friends; I enjoyed the company. At that time I dint really know much about my sexuality. I dint know if I really liked guys. We ended up fooling around one day. We continued doing this for a month and then our friendship started to change. We talked about it and we both felt something for each other. After some dating I fell in love with.
    I met my boyfriend online like semicharmedlife did. We spoke a lot before meeting. We both had a lot in common and I enjoyed talking to him, so we decided to meet. I remember when I first saw him. Yes, he was cute; I still remember the charming smile he had when he saw me. The first 40 min of our first date was.....ok. He was very reserved and I was having second thoughts. But i noticed that he was slowly opening up as time went by. After he started opening up, time flew by. 5 hrs passed by and we did not even notice. I fell in love with his personality, the way he acts, the way he treats me and him as a person.
    So to answer your question, for me, I really have to know the person before I fall in love.

7. kenm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lovely stories, I'm so glad guys on here really feel love :slight_smile:

It seems love comes from unexpected places, all the more reason to be more confident and take the risks to talk to people and build friendships

8. DangerAlex

Aside from the fact that I didn't meet my boyfriend online, I feel like these stories were somewhat similar. And yes, I'm enjoying reading them too :slight_smile:

9. somegirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I fell in live with my straight best friend a few years ago and I've found out this is a common thing for gay people. I think it was because she was a really good friend to me and we were really close at the time of me figuring out my sexuality and it just kinda happened. It then developed into feelings and then love and it's gotten to the point where I'd do literally anything for her. Hmm, time for me to move in I think

10. Purplefrog

Purplefrog Guest

I've been seeing a girl I met from online dating the past 6 weeks. I knew I found her pictures attractive, and when we first met on our first date I thought within a few minutes 'yep, I fancy her'. Fast forward 3 hours of coffee, wandering around a gallery, brilliant conversation, I was pretty smitten, and REALLY fancied her! I think it was due to her not only being physically attractive, but the fact we just hit it off so well from the get go... Conversation flowed so easily.

11. shadowmonger

Out Status:
    A few people
    Accidently...with the only person who was there for me when I was dealing with some hard stuff...

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Your story made me cry, in a very good way.

Unfortunately for the topic, I have never been in love before.

13. Vaettfang

I feel for you.:eusa_booh