1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling with someone I got recently close with

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ipod3rdgen, May 25, 2014.

1. ipod3rdgen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I'm a gay male in college and I'm only open to a few people (the people who live with me, about 12 people). Recently I've been getting really close to my roommate, who has been really accepting and chill about anything/everything that goes on.

Recently, he said something that I sort of overanalyzed to be uncaring and mean from what he intended it to be (respectful). I fear that I do this a lot. I'm pretty sure I'm the first/only gay person that he's ever been close with, and so I'm a little afraid with how he'll react to situations when I'm oversensitive/talk about feelings too much/etc.

I know I'm not the easiest to be friends with, so I'm afraid that if I keep it up, he may give up dealing with all my :***:, and it'll be hard for us to stay close.

:help:

2. IG88

Hi there, welcome to EC!

Okay so, has he shown any signs that he's getting fed up with you? Are you hypersensitive to what others say to/about you?

3. ipod3rdgen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you!

And, no, he has not. And yes, yes I am. I've been trying to tone down the sensitivity but it's hard to judge when I'm being rational in my feelings or when I'm being totally off the wall..

4. IG88

That's good that he isn't fed up with you. I think if you explain to him that sometimes your emotions make you crazy sometimes, then he will be ready for when you let your emotions run away. On top of that, give him permission to let you know when that happens, when you're not thinking rationally. But you can't let yourself get offended when that happens.

You could also invest in another friend who will be more understanding if your roommate isn't.

5. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 27 and hyper sensitive and I will say that telling your friend to let you know when your going overboard is a really good idea in my eyes.

Don't want to scare you but I had a friend that I talked to all the time. He would give me little advice here and there when I was bitching.

Little did he know (I think) how much I would complain about the same people/same things and I think he knew how much he couldn't help me so he never really said anything.

So one day I went off again about all the bad stuff going on (Mostly in my head), so I think he finally couldn't take it anymore and ended the friendship.(He hasn't talked to me in 5 yrs after a 9 yr friendship)

What I'm saying is that if he is a good friend, lean on his shoulder once and a while but don't go overboard with it.

Mix the bad with the good.. Have fun sometimes with the guy so when you are down and out it won't seem like it is a never ending spew of depressing conversations.

I know it is hard to tell when we are being hyper sensitive or actually having somebody being mean.. I've decided to just ask people, "Are you being serious are just screwing with me?". Let them know that you are hyper sensitive,if that's the case, and that they need to be more specific with what they are saying.

I hope you the best :slight_smile: