1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - invasion of privacy and snooping by family member

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Tightrope, May 25, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a problem on my hands.

Over 10 years ago, a sibling snooped on a letter I had received from a friend I had met who lived in the area for a while who then moved to another city in another state. The letter was generic except for recounting about a customer coming onto him while he was working as a service adviser at a car dealership and for which he took up the offer. For this sibling to access this letter, it was necessary to go into the furniture in my room. This sibling was visiting. The excuse was "You're so secretive. I need to know where you're going."

Last Thursday, this same sibling was fuming and combative. I had been away on vacation. I was confronted with a letter I had written. The letter was to someone who was interviewed in the realm of reparative therapy and is small potatoes in terms of name recognition. However, he is a psychiatrist with a religious bent. The letter was very polished and contained nothing that was adversarial or pungent, except for a sarcastic jab at his probable income and attendant lifestyle and how what he wanted to accomplish - conversion - was typically not occurring with his patients and thus a likely waste of time and money on their end.

How the hell was this letter found? There was no hard copy. My computer had been moved (hidden) in the rare case of a break-in and there is a challenging enough password on it. I doubt that the sibling was contacted by this person, because, as an adult, I would be contacted first. *light bulb* I had made a back-up CD of my hard drive which was hidden in my place, and for which this sibling was given the keys while I was on vacation, and I'm sure there was snooping, it was found, and select files were read.

I was mad the day it occurred and a verbal fight ensued. I have been very depressed since then, accomplishing next to nothing during this weekend. Based on that letter read over 10 years ago and things before that, this sibling has known the score for a while. Still ...

Any thoughts?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, stop letting this sibling near your stuff...take the keys, change your locks and never let them back into your house.

Sounds extreme, but frankly if someone is willing to go through your possessions, then have some misguided idea that they have a right to confront you about what they find, they deserve every bad thing that comes to them.

3. DangerAlex

In my experience, those who feel the need to snoop through others things do so because they themselves are hiding things. Those who are paranoid that others are keeping secrets feel that way because they themselves are keeping secrets.

Clearly, your sibling is not trustworthy. I'm sure they were expecting to find something "juicier" than what has been found, so you should consider it a small victory that they were probably disappointed with their findings. Be that as it may though, to find the backup disc of your hard-drive and go through the trouble of sifting through the contents to find files "worthy" of snooping is beyond excessive. It's immature, disrespectful, insulting, and indicative of some deep personal issues for which your sibling should seek some professional help. You entrusted this person with access to your home while you were away, and they abused and exploited your trust to invade your privacy and access information and correspondence that you probably keep hidden because they're meant for your eyes only.

If I were in your shoes, I would be irate. Absolutely nothing gives someone the right to do what your sibling did. Invasion of privacy like that--and then to have the audacity to confront you about what they discovered while snooping through your home while you were away on vacation is disgusting--would kill any semblance of trust I had in such a person. They would no longer be invited or welcome into my home, whether I was present or not. If I needed or wanted to see this person, we would meet out in public, never in my own personal, private space.

I'm very sorry to hear this has happened to you. I hope you are able to resolve this issue so it doesn't happen again in the future.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was a logistics thing. I was going to be out of town for a little longer than unusual and that would require some additional precautions, including the need to get in and do a few things. But I know what you mean.

---------- Post added 25th May 2014 at 10:43 AM ----------

I read your whole post and I appreciate it. However, I wanted to add that many altercations along these lines over a long period of time is just ONE of the several reasons I see a mental health professional. My therapist is already aware of these situations and has been very supportive. Thank God.

5. DangerAlex

I meant that your sibling clearly has some issue or issues for which they should seek professional help. But I'm a big advocate of counseling for ALL. I think it's quite helpful and a healthy choice for anybody, whether it's for legitimate problems or just to vent to an unbiased third party. So I'm glad that you speak to someone too; it's a shame that your sibling invading your privacy and betraying your trust like this repeatedly over the years was one of the reasons why you decided to seek counseling. Nobody deserves that.

6. Hyaline

I work in I.T. which gives me access to everyone in my company's email. My job is to protect it from harm, intruders and unauthorized access. It wouldn't take more than a moment or two to break that trust, but my lack of interest and my moral compass keep me from doing so. They trust me to keep secrets, secrets.

This, for me, would come down to a serious trust issue for me. I've long said to roomies, if you go snooping and you find something that bothers you, it is your own damn fault for looking. You've trusted this person repeatedly, and it turns out you can't and shouldn't do so. They cannot be trusted with something so basic as keeping your belongings safe and to have enough moral discipline to not go snooping. Sure, it is tempting at times. Human nature makes us curious. But there is a line this person shouldn't cross.

I wouldn't allow them in your house alone ever again. Despite logisitics. Find someone else to water your plants, feed your cat or whatever else you need them to do. Find someone else to do it.

You deserve to have space that is your own, protected from people who want to go through all of you belongings looking for "dirt" or whatnot.