1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strained sibling ties: how can I fix them?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by wanderinggirl, May 25, 2014.

1. wanderinggirl

My older brother was the first one in my immediate family I came out to. He was incredibly nice about it; I was talking to him online and asked him if he'd be mad at me if I said I was going to take up snowboarding (we are all avid skiers) and he said "absolutely". i then asked him "what about if i said i wanted to date girls?" and he said "of course not, whoever you date guy or girl will be lucky to have you." I was ecstatic, my brother was awesome!

But he might not be as accepting as he claims. I get little hints from him that things I do are too "queer" for him. He was never too keen on my ex while we were dating, for no good reason. He kept asking me when I'd grow my hair out again. One day we were driving up to go skiing and he asked me all these questions about how I could have kids with a woman and if I wanted kids and I kept saying "I don't know I like just came out! I have no idea, there are a lot of options and that would be a question for me and my future potential wife to discuss." He gets awkward when I try to talk about online dating women. Before he met my ex he asked me what kind of lesbian she was. He continually says and does things like this that makes me think that he might not actually be okay with it; he just wants our weird-ass family to be "normal" and I don't fit into that. I'm the weirdest of our weird-ass family and we're just never gonna be normal-ass and I just want that to be okay.

I know he loves me, and I love him. I'm closest to him out of my immediate family. But I want to address this and I don't know how.

He is having a baby soon, and I live close by and cannot WAIT to be an aunt. I am so excited to be part of his child's life; I want to be there to babysit and take him/her/ze to the zoo and to the beach and to amusement parks and to the park and to daycare. But I want my brother to accept me and not just tolerate me. I find it really hard to broach the subject and I don't even know what to ask him because he has been externally accepting. What do I ask? How do I ask it? What do I do with people who are "accepting" but not accepting? Why must I feel like it's weird to be LGBT?

I'm worried about this in particular considering my recent questioning and conclusion that I'm probably more gay than bi. This isn't going to go away, and maybe I was trying to be bi so that I could appease him and others.

Anyways, advice?

2. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Do you have any other LGBT family friends/relatives or anything? If not, it could just be that he thinks that being LGBT makes you a whole different person or something like that, which makes him feel like he needs to treat you differently; because he doesn't really have experience with LGBT people and thinks that it's your defining characteristic, instead of it just being a part of you.

I don't know, but I think that would explain the awkwardness, yet the fact that HE is the one who brought up having kids and what not. As for not liking your ex, that might just be because he didn't like her as a person but didn't want to offend you or something. The best option is actually to talk to him about it but obviously that's a little awkward.

I know that this was the case with one of my friends who I came out to. She was accepting of LGBT people, but it took time for her to link it to her friend (i.e. me) and understand that it's not my entire life, it's just a part of it. She used to get awkward when talking about boys around me and things like that. I don't know, but I think it might be a similar thing with your brother. He's accepting of LGBT in theory, but linking it to his sister and accepting that maybe will take time.

How long ago did you come out to him? It may just be one of those things that needs time to settle in... otherwise, if you can, just talking is a good option. It definitely will lessen the awkwardness if you can talk to him for a long time and tell him all the things you've said here. That's what you ask. Just what you've written for this thread, and anything else you might want to add. He's your brother, and he's fairly accepting. It's not like he's going to tell you to get out of his sight if you talk to him.

I don't know if this helped at all, it's a bit rambly, but I hope you manage to sort this out :slight_smile:

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For starters, you are very lucky in this regard.

---------- Post added 26th May 2014 at 08:18 AM ----------

I understand. However, the awkwardness you mention is more common than not. I think it's hard to ask LGBT people questions about interpersonal things when not all the "conventions" are known and the person can't step in your shoes. Let's face it. Being LGBT is being part of a sexual minority. However, asking when you are going to grow your hair out was less than cool.

There's that dichotomy at work for many, but not for you. That is "you can't pick your family, but you can pick your friends" and "blood is thicker than water." In your case, your family ties, especially to this sibling, are strong. Take it one day at a time and just be yourself. You'll be fine. On the other hand, my parents were indifferent to the topic because they had gone through more pressing things in their lives, but a sibling has been problematic. Again, consider yourself lucky.

By the way - you write very well. It made for a good read.

#3 Tightrope, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  4. I had a similar thing with my older brother - when I came out to him he was like 'I don't have a problem with it, it's your life and you'll always have my support - but personally I wouldn't tell mum & dad'

So I didn't. And I went back into the closet - we never spoke about it again for 7 years.

Finally, just before he got married he bought it up again - this time he was more supportive 'at the end of the day mum and dad just want you to be happy' - but then, crucially, he added 'it's not like you're going to suddenly turn into a flaming queen or anything'

That hurt. It was like acceptance and nonacceptance at the same time. Be gay, but don't be GAY

I love my brother to bits, but part of that meant that I cared waaay too much about what he thought about me.

5. wanderinggirl

I don't have any other LGBT family. I have a few that would embrace it, but none that know about it really so I could be overlooking someone who is bi. I'm much younger than my cousins, who all married straight, but it's possible that in my youth I missed out on hearing about someone's exploration of their sexual orientation.

My brother does have one friend who is gay who when he first came out my brother said it was awkward. Not because they didn't accept him, but because things were different when they hung out. I don't know why. But it seems like my brother's friend group has a strong heterosexual sense of identity. Which is different from being conservative, but nevertheless makes things weird sometimes.

I came out to him about a year and a half ago, so.

---------- Post added 26th May 2014 at 09:40 AM ----------

Thank you for reminding me I'm lucky to be close with him, I needed to be reminded. On the other hand it is for this reason that his words can be hurtful, because we're close and yet he's not just saying "whatever you are, that's totally fine."

I understand that it's awkward, and now I finally see it and it sucks. Sometimes peoples' faces rearrange themselves when I come out, and not like it's a real problem for most people but you're right, it's fairly common to be like "so... you're gay/bi... well I certainly can't talk about the economy now can I? Are you people even interested in that?" I do tolerate a good amount of well-meaning awkwardness, but when it comes from my brother, it blows.

Thanks for the complement on my writing! It's something I don't get enough feedback on generally.

---------- Post added 26th May 2014 at 09:49 AM ----------

Yep. It's the old "shoving it in my face" thing. People don't realize how harmful that is. I guess they want you to blend in so that when you're talking to someone new fact to face they'll assume you're totally "one of them" until you drop a hint about being gay. Unfortunately for these people, being LGBT is something that does bleed into other areas of one's life, and that's just more than they can handle for some reason.

I'm sorry your brother inadvertently pushed you to stay in the closet. It sounds like he's just never been around many LGBT people, and wouldn't know how to treat you if you were GAY instead of just gay. The answer, uniqueusername3's brother, is exactly like you treated him before.

I think people who have never hung out with any gay people have no idea what to do or say because they're aware that some things can be offensive and a joke can easily cross the line but can also lighten the mood, so they're torn between awkward statements and keeping their mouth zipped.

6. wanderinggirl

I think I'm going to ask him outright if it makes him feel uncomfortable. We can be so indirect with each other, maybe it's time to come forward and just ask if he feels weird that I'm not straight. I just don't know how to broach the subject... I'll have to see.