1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Conservative Parents?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Friendly Lion, May 26, 2014.

1. Friendly Lion

So... I want to come out to my parents eventually. We're pretty close and I hate having to hide this part of me from them. I want to get married someday (and I prefer people of the same gender) which would mean I have to some time. Only problem is that my parents are extremely homophobic, conservative Christians.

My dad can be particularly bad, using hurtful terms for gays and calling them "a disgrace to God", "perverts" and "disgusting sinners". Yeah... it's bad.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some biblical proof supporting homosexuality or advice on how to go about telling them without them flipping out. My dad will only listen to arguments if they're coming from "biblical inspiration" so... yeah. I really need help. Thanks in advance.

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stealing this from another poster's sig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udFqnsUcd0c.

I am going through this now. The best way is to get liberal/moderate family allies on your side first, then come to immediate family. This is what I've done. Think about aunts, uncles, cousins etc. that will have your back. It is much harder under their roof when you live there though, not going to lie. I live on my own, so I don't have to worry about them listening in on my phone calls or anything though.

3. falcenav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im in the same boat as you.

As for biblical support, all I could get for homosexuality is that its mentioned along with sexual immorality. My main conclusion here is that gay sex is sinful, but an abstinent relationship seems clear of condemnation. (Im not some bible scholar, so I dont have top interpretation skills...I could be wrong)

Jesus says nothing of homosexuality.

Divorce and masturbation are sins. Religious people have done those things before, trust me. At the end of the day, we are all sinful and deserve death. God gave his son to save us from death so we can live with God forever. As long as you truly accept Jesus as your savior and follow him, youre going to heaven. (If you arent Christian yourself, thats a different issue entirely and being gay shouldnt be #1 reason to go to hell. You need a relationship with Christ, first and foremost.)

Im not well versed in this type of thing, Im in the same situation as you. This is what I have come up with so far, and I hope it helps somehow.

4. gomez46356

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My father is very conservative and he was actually the most understanding of my parents, he said I don't hate gays I hate people the shove their live in my face and demand to be accepted, your life is your business not mine , so don't try to make me involved in it. I can talk to him about anything. Honestly it sounds like u have a religious issue and those are hard to break.

5. Seige

I have the exact same problem. I think the best thing to do would do as biguy said. If you have any family members or siblings that are more accepting, you might want to think of coming out to them first. Having someone that supports you can make coming out much easier. It makes me sad that this is such a prevalent problem. :frowning2: I hope you can find a way to convince them.

6. Going through the same thing... my dad is such a homophobic asshole. He goes on and on about how gays are the minority, so they don't matter in terms of laws and that type of thing; he also made a comment about gays shoving their lifestyle in his face. He knows I support gays; he'd have a friggin heart attack if he knew I question my sexuality and I have a possibility of being a lesbian.
    My mom is better about it; says she's torn about the morality of it because she has a gay friend.
    We're not cray-cray Christian; we're-as I see it, extremely light- Protestants.