1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you meet people?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by clockworkfox, May 29, 2014.

1. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like, for dating purposes?

This is my first time being single since coming to terms with, and outwardly making strides to express, my gender identity. Surprisingly, among the several people I've dated, I've only ever dated one straight guy. But everyone I've been with was looking for a girlfriend, not a somewhat ambiguous pre-hormonal boyfriend.

How am I supposed to date without things becoming a big confusing mess? It seems like everyone thinks I'm a lesbian, except for actual lesbians. While this means that I've never had to explain to any girls that I'm not into girls, I also haven't gotten to explain to any guys that I like guys.

I know dating sites are an option but I really don't want to go through the trouble. Is there any way to tell if someone's interested in you, short of them actually saying that they're interested in you?

2. Hyaline

I wrote a long response and then cleared it out. Because I don't really understand the journey you are on. I hesitate to give advice in situations like these, so if my advice seems totally off base, feel free to tell me. (That way I can learn)

From the sidelines as a pure spectator, I would suggest becoming part of a local GLBT+ group. Going out and being social with other like minded people can help introduce you to people you wouldn't likely meet. If they have hikes, parties, events etc, go and enjoy yourself. The likelihood of you meeting someone there is probably more likely then on whatever binary centric website de jour will offer.

3. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hyaline always gives such good, sound advice (nope, not being paid for the endorsement :lol:slight_smile:. You can't go wrong with that idea of joining a group.

Good luck CWF

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Joining a group or looking for events is probably a good idea. I know that we have a local pride event in the summer, and sometimes LGBT+ group events are organized at our local gay bar. I could see if there's anything coming up.

One of the difficult things for me is that I have difficulty reading people. I can never tell if anyone's interested in me in any social way, as a friend or otherwise. If people aren't straight-forward, a lot of social subtleties go over my head.

But looking into events couldn't hurt. :slight_smile: