1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This kind of took me by surprise. Am I thinking too hard?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by medic, May 30, 2014.

1. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry another one of these!

Every time I think I've figured out this guy things change really suddenly. He's the person which made me question my sexuality but I'm still very much closeted. It's all a little weird and new to me and something just happened which surprised me a lot.

It didn't really occur to me what I was feeling until I started coming out to myself a few months ago, so any interactions before that weren't very memorable. Since then I've been picking up on queues and I can't work out if he's just really keen on gay rights or is gay himself. I'll use bullet points to try and keep this coherent:

• He's never had a girlfriend and once said he's had interest from girls but hasn't felt the same
    • On a night out I think he might have kissed me but we were both pretty drunk so I don't trust my memory at all. I remember being unsure at the time about what actually happened though. If he did it was quick and then he ran off. I keep kicking myself for being as drunk as I was (not particularly, but enough to not trust myself. If he did I realise this is one STONKER of a clue)
    • He talks a lot about gay rights. We often spend long evenings talking about not much and he often shows me stuff about it. I wonder if he's gauging my reaction to see if I'm homophobic? I'd do the same in his position!
    • And here's what happened today. I said bye (in an admittedly pretty camp way - not intentional!) and he said it was a pretty gay way of saying goodbye and then he goes "it sounds like we're in a homosexual relationship. I'd be okay with that, would you?" So I just sort of laughed pretty nervously and he says "only joking haha" and then leaves.

The last point happened after a decent gap between the other events and I'd kind of just decided to leave this sort of stuff until after exams as I'm stressed enough with those as it is, but he's walking home now and I'm EXTREMELY tempted to send him a message asking if he was really joking. I like the guy but I'm not very comfortable myself so the idea of doing so seems odd. I've only come out to people that I either know online or see rarely as I find it easier to talk to them. This guy I see most days.

I'm really worried the fact I said nothing will be taken as a "no" from me and he'll give up. My original plan was to try and build up the courage to come out to him over the summer when I'll have more time to think but I wonder if this makes things more urgent.

I don't know what to do!

---------- Post added 31st May 2014 at 02:33 AM ----------

I've had way too much practice at acting straight! I can't make myself give off a more obvious vibe! At every opportunity I just end up trying to seem straighter!

2. Hyaline

Ask him if he was kidding... I tried to word it a few different ways, but couldn't find a way to make it cute and clever.

Might be easier to ask him if he likes you.. though that runs the risk as well of alienating him if he is not interested like that and was just joking around..

Maybe ask him about the kiss... "So, I have this vague notion that you kissed me that night we were drunk.... are you trying to tell me something?"

Good luck and let us know what you opt to do... Sounds like you like him back and you just never know with some guys... Heck he could be on here asking about you.. :slight_smile:

3. Rumpletubb

You can always text him something along the lines of "we would make an awesome gay couple, you're absolutely right ;D"

Sounds like he's in the exakt same position as you are but you never know.

I so agree with Hyaline, saying something jokingly abou the kiss (in a positive manner) might not be too bad.

When I was single and unsure about a guys flirting, I got drunk with them to see if the alcohol-imbued self-esteem would start something. Stupid stuff might happen, but something interesting might aswell. Alcohol is a dubbel-edged sword.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

4. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OP here!

Well I chickened out of saying anything and nothing seems to have come of it. I saw him again yesterday and initially seemed quieter than usual. We were in a group though so he eventually went back to his normal self.

I'm seeing him fairly regularly so I suppose something could happen between then and the end of term (in about a week.) I'll also go on a night out soon so maybe something will happen then? If not I guess I'll come out to him over the Summer. Think I shouldn't force it.

I'm a little worried about yesterday though. He didn't mention any gay rights stuff like he normally does and was slightly quieter overall. Wonder if he gave up. Hah I'm reading far too much into this. Totally fed up of covering my tracks online here too :confused:

5. WearyWanderer

Dude. He's obviously into you. Just come out to him. Even on the small chance he isn't, since he's vocal about LGBT rights and such he is certain to support you. However, if you want to stop him before he moves on, which might happen quicker than you think, I'd come out to him. You don't have to mention any of the past things about that relationship comment, or even the kiss right now. Just come out to him and see how he responds.

6. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really want to! I spend a lot of my day figuring out how I'd do it but I still haven't. Keep delaying it. Latest idea (which I've started - I asked if we could chat when he's around) is coming out to an old friend of mine who is gay. I kind of want to talk to somebody I know about it and the only other person I've got is also gay and has a crush on me. Every time I try to talk to him about stuff like this he gets upset!

I realise it sounds like he's definitely into me but it almost makes it scarier. I like him a lot but I'm still not very comfortable myself. All feels so alien and the last time I've done anything vaguely romantic was with a girl and it was horrible. Not interested in her and I lead her on too long. Makes me nervous about anything like this. :confused:

7. WearyWanderer

It's completely normal to feel nervous. I haven't been in a relationship yet, but when I am I'll most likely be a wreck leading up to it! But once you've surpassed that, and after some time, you'll hopefully form a very special bond with someone that loves you for who you are. If you're able to go through with this, it is most definitely worth it. However, to achieve it, you will need to take some risks.

That idea does sound nice just for a second opinion of someone close to you...but why not instead just tell your friend (the one who probably likes you) directly about your sexuality? I understand you're scared, but there isn't really a bad outcome that I can see. He is A. supportive (and vocal!) of gay rights, B. Probably gay/bi himself, and C. Probably has a crush on you. At the very least, he will support you for who you are!

The choice is ultimately yours, but you have my advice for you. Approach the situation in whatever way you feel would be best for you. :slight_smile:

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree about telling him. There is virtually no risk, and coming out usually makes the other person comfortable telling their own sexuality. You don't even have to say you have feelings for him.

9. Gregarity

I second WW. There's no harm in coming out to him for obvious reasons, so just dive in; wait for or craft a good conversation to segue into coming out (my method of choice), or just kick down the closet door in a shower of sequins.

I also agree with WW about this guy's feelings to you. If your memory is to be believed, he's prolly hid feelings for a while that alcohol opened the floodgates to.

tldr: your chances look good, all that's left is to seize whatever fortune meets you. Good luck!

10. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well the good news is that I came out to my other friend and he's great to chat to. I've talked about this with him and I think exams need to come first for the moment. My first one is in 2 days and I could do without the distractions.

Thank you all for being so encouraging by the way!

11. Kabuki

Great news!! Congrats man! If you are having exams soon, I agree that you should wait, that sort of distraction is not what you need right now. After freeing yourself of that, then you can calmly analyze everything and decide what to do then. :slight_smile:

12. Rumpletubb

Congratulations! It takes courage and I'm glad that you and your friend are still on great terms!

Tell us how it goes and if you need help, post here and some smart dudes and dudettes will help!

13. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just to clarify, I haven't come out to the guy I mentioned in the OP! This is just an old friend of mine who I trust.

And yeah the exams are kind of important. We both have them and the amount of content is beyond silly.

14. Kabuki

I gotcha! Even though it's not him, you still made a step forward by coming out to another friend for support.

I'm sure you'll do wonderfully on those exams! Take your time and study, that should be your priority right now. Success to you and your friend. :grin:

15. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Aha he even offered to take me to Soho in London as a "baptism of fire." Not quite sure about that haha.

16. Kabuki

I needed to look those terms up. Does Soho have a place for lgtb+ people? If so, then what you mean by "baptism of fire is that it will be a very uncomfortable experience? Or did I get the meaning wrong. Sorry for my limited knowledge on this haha

17. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Aha that's okay. And yes it's a place with lots of LGBT bars and stuff. Baptism of fire just means putting yourself in a fairly difficult position to see how you react I suppose. Hard to explain! Similar idea to "being thrown in at the deep end."

18. Rumpletubb

Even though it's a different friend, congrats! Takes courage anyways!

19. Kabuki

I guess the info I got was correct then haha. Well, he gave you the chance, it is up to you to take it or leave it. I'm sure it will be a very great experience in general if you do go. I mean, you will definitely learn and see many things. Every experience brings us knowledge and understanding, maybe you'll learn if this atmosphere is the kind for you? Or maybe not. But either way, it will help you learn more about yourself on that regard. :slight_smile:

20. overmyhead

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey,
    Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. This is literally my first post ever lol.
    I'm head over heels in love with my friend, who I think might be gay, but I'm terrified to risk everything by coming out to him. I can't tell if he's doing things that might tell me he's in the same boat, or if I'm just over analyzing everything he does and seeing things how I want to see them.
    He's been single for at least 5 years and hasn't even been on a date in that time. He's incredibly sensitive. He's so cute and had plenty of interest from his female friends, yet he remains single. He claims to be straight but never talks about girls. One friend told me he's a virgin. Another asked me if I think he might be gay. There are so many other signs...
    The problem is I'm so far in the closet that I can't get any closer to him than I already have. Another problem is that I only became his friend because I want to be with him so badly and now we're so close. We're pretty much best friends and I feel like such a fraud. He's the greatest person I've ever known and I couldn't handle losing him. I don't know what to do...