1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my friend gay? Please help, I feel depressed!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by shyguyww, May 30, 2014.

1. shyguyww

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So this my second post, following my first one. Go ahead and read it if you want to fill in.

So long story short, I've been liking my really good friend I didn't really notice at all. I've had crushes on straight guys before but never really bothered since I've always been clear that straight guys simply don't like guys (with seldom exceptions). Anyway, in my previous post I mentioned how it was different with this guy since while I've gotten close to him I've noticed how he has no interaction with girls whatsoever, and I know he enjoys my company. You can't tell he's guy by the way he acts, but the fact that he never talks about girls he likes or never talks to girls bums me out. I've had a thing for guys since I was little but also hooked with girls along the way and had girlfriends. I just want to know if he likes guys, because if he does, I'm pretty something could develop. I've gone thru his phone and he has no texts or calls with girls, not even messages in facebook. I've been in denial my whole life but for this guy I would be gay. We are not gay at all with each other, but somehow always end up spending pretty much every day doing stuff. I talk about girls with my other guy friends, but with him I don't. I won't act gay with him but I don't want to make him think I'm the straightest guy out there. I might have failed at this a couple of times when we were hanging out since He has seen me hitting on girls and later is kind of interested to know if I like the girl or not (he isn't very persistent, but he does bring up the subject). I feel great when I'm with him, even if we are just talking for hours, and when I leave I feel sad and just want to be with him.

So in conclusion, he doesn't act gay at all, but his zero interaction with girls just makes me wonder. What do you guys think? By the way, coming out to him is not an option, so if that is your advice, please don't. I first want to make sure he is in fact gay before a make a move or bring up the subject. What can I do to find out? What should I pay more attention to? I don't think asking him if he is gay is a good idea because if he in fact is and is in the closet he will just feel pressure. Thanks!! Feel free to read my previous post so you can know some more of the facts between us, even though I think I summarized it pretty well.

2. stumble along

Bring up gay topics or a mutual friend that is gay or if hes had a rough day just put extra emphasis (or say even if he was gay) that youll be his friend no matter what

3. shortie

I'm in a really similar situation right now. I agree that you should try bringing up gay topics, just to get a better idea of how he feels about everything. Don't imply that you think he's gay or randomly give him a "even if you were gay I'd be your pal" because that's either to blatant or too platonic. Maybe mention that you've questioned your sexuality if you guys are talking about love lives. Good luck!

4. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How old are you guys?

You need to get more info from him.

5. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    I went through the same thing with my friend. We have been close for 6yr since I shared a place with him in college and in all that time he has never had a relationship, and a couple years ago when he wanted to leave Miami he did move to north Florida cause I was there, even though he had friends in Orlando. We spent almost every day together for 9 months, something that probably hastened the end of my long-suffered and ill-fated marriage. And I loved every minute of it, even though at that time I had no intention to ever act on or admit my true sexuality.

Then, after the seperation, he was the first person I came out to. By this time we're working together, living in his moms condo and carpooling. We had gone to a dive bar, gotten good and drunk and where sitting at home burning one, and the topic of people at work thinking we where gay came up because some of the temp guys had said a couple things. the convorsation progressed untill i said ''even I've wondered about you because you've not had a date in 5 years and your only 26". He said ''true, but I've never messed around with a man'' and I just sat there. normally this is the part where I say 'oh yea me neither' but I choked on the lie like I had choked on the truth 10 years ago when I had another best friend who was gay, but I went into denial about my feelings. We sat there in silence, the ticking seconds marking the rising tension in the room as he realized the meaning of my silence, and the long conversation that fallowed as we began hammering out how this effected our relationship. And it is a relationship, of sorts. We don't call it that much, but friends doesn't cover it.
    Sometimes I still wonder if he'll come out later, or if he's just biding his time till the divorce is over and I have become more comfortable with being queer. But if my marriage taught me anything its that you take people as they are or not at all.

6. shyguyww

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    we are in the 20-24 range

---------- Post added 1st Jun 2014 at 07:25 AM ----------

Thanks for sharing your story! It doesn't make me feel any better though haha, I hope I don't have to go through that with my friend. It seems really tough. I wonder how he could have lived 5 years without a date. I hope it gets better for both of us!

7. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    Idk. Both he and I are very introverted and have issues with women, and he just kind of embraces who he is. I know he's had sex in that time just nothing more serious than a one nighter and not much. At this point in things I really do think he's straight, maybe leaning towers asexual but not into men at all. And though it was hard to get over some of me feelings I'm happy with where he and I are, I consider myself lucky to have someone I love dearly to share a home and experiences with, and besides I don't prescribe to labels so why should I let my relationships be defined by them?