1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm nervous about the family gathering tomorrow.....

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by QueerTransEnby, May 30, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tomorrow is the first time seeing my aunt after coming out to her over the phone on Monday. My uncle(her husband) also knows as does my one cousin(their daughter). My other uncle and his boyfriend also know after I came out on Facebook to him via private message. I am just worried that it will be awkward. They all say they support me(and I believe them) and will keep it in confidence.

The problem is that my parents don't know and neither do some of my other cousins. I'm worried that when one of them gets drunk they could slip up. I am not ready to deal with my parents quite yet. They are the Focus on the Family types, aka "love the sinner, hate the sin". My mom is much more loving than my dad though and helped my cousin on the other side of the family with health issues after she came out as a lesbian.

2. AlamoCity

I wish you the best of luck. It helps that you have a support group in place and I hope they don't get drunk and accidentally spill anything, given that you're not ready to deal with them.

Similar to you, I came out to my best friend in a text and it was awkward the next time I saw him in person given that he's conservative Catholic, but it went well. Just know that even the nicest of friends might make indiscretions; that's happened to me.

If there's someone in the bunch you trust a lot, maybe you can privately ask them to run interference if they catch anyone about to blurt something out.

Good luck :slight_smile:.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welp, here goes nothing.....

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I can see why it would make you nervous, but I'm sure it is going to be fine. Remind yourself that your aunt, uncle and cousin have said that they will keep it in confidence. Deep breath!

Don't forget to enjoy the time at the family gathering. (*hug*)

5. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    Focus on the family? Haven't heard that name in awhile. I grew up listening to them, you could do a lot worse. About. 11 years ago I told my mom I was a fag during an argument...while I was on acid:eusa_clap she cried but seemed to take it in stride. The next day I told her I said it just to hurt her, and she was very happy to accept that excuse at the time. But judging from that experience, and how she handled my brother telling her about his ''questioning phase'', I know she will be OK even though she will pray for my ''salvation'':lol: