1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend loves me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Noivern, May 31, 2014.

1. Noivern

Noivern Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have been friends with this guy for just over a year now. A few weeks after I knew him, we had a conversation about how we feel about each other. He told me that he liked me, but I told him I don't like him in that way and I would like to keep it as friends. His feelings have grew stronger, to the point that he loves me. We do have a close friendship, but nothing physical has happened. He thinks that because our friendship is close, being in a relationship wouldn't be much different. I think it is different, and I don't see him in that way. We have had so many conversations about it and it is getting a bit annoying now. We just go round and round in circles. He is trying to push the point of us being in a relationship, but it just isn't going to happen. He ends up being sad because I say I don't want to be in a relationship. I feel bad because I am always on the other end of unrequited love so I know how he feels.

Loving someone who doesn't love you back is a horrible feeling and I hate how I am making someone feel that. He is one of my best friends and I don't know what to do.

2. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That a tought one, and don't get me wrong when I say this but have you done anything non-verbally to make him feel this way. I think a good start is to get to know WHY he has fallen for you. Do you treat him or act towards him in a way that makes him feel attached to you, or is he simply just obsessed by your appearance?
    I know this must be tought on you, I've never been in that kind of situation, but I totally believe you when you say that it's hard to deal with.
    But my tip is to start asking yourself what have you done to make him feel this way (or maybe not do). And secondly if that don't help you ask him questions like; "why do you like me?", or maybe "what do you think is my best quality", and so on.
    At least hope things work out, and that your friend can accept staying just friends, good luck :wink:

3. Kabuki

This is not an easy situation. I've never been in a situation like this, so take my suggestions as something written by someone without this experience.

From what you wrote it seems that talking to him about your feelings won't work, so I guess you could talk to him about the difference of a friendship and relationship, since it seems to me he doesn't really know the differences well. This way, you can maybe, like what Wilzyax said, ask him a few things about himself.

The other suggestion would be to try and loosen up the friendship with him. I feel that maybe the closeness you too have is not letting him sort his emotions and he just ends up falling more for you. I don't know if he haves any other close friend, but I suggest to do activities that can bring him to meet new people, or maybe create closeness with other people or friends he already haves. Because from what I can get, he seems to be very in love, and it won't be helpful to him, and to you, to keep such a close friendship. I'm not suggesting to break up the friendship by the way, just enough to let him think things more calmly.

I hope things get better between you guys. I'm sure it must be hard, and even more when you are at risk of loosing a very close friend if things go wrong. Good luck man, I hope was of use. :grin:

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Have been in this situation before, well both sides really and i think you need to ask him why he likes you, if its something physical (muscles, hair, eyes) then i think its not worth it, either way you need to but if its something emotional, like how you might have/have not treated him it can be harder more him to let go, especially if he said the L-word

5. Noivern

Noivern Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He has told me before that he likes me physically and emotionally

6. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have to approve to what Kabuki said. Try to make your friendship less "close" might be for the better. Let him get some time to get other friends aswell, so he don't have to feel so attached to you, or at least try to maybe give him some space.

7. Jiramanau

Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely talk to him about how a relationship is different besides sex but remember you can't cross any line you draw or you will confuse him. Also pull away a little, make some plans with out him.