1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic teachers - how to defend ourselves?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by IwillBeStrong, Jun 4, 2014.

1. IwillBeStrong

Hi there :slight_smile:
    I got a question. How do you guys deal with homophobic teachers? or teachers who make it obvious that they are not really in favor of homosexuality?

I feel so uncomfortable when my teacher starts talking about homosexuality from her conservative point of view and tries to make it sound logical. She's not being rude but still she's coming up with some sort of arguments which are (so she claims) "valid". I feel like I cant say anything in such situations although I would like to bring some arguments to show her that her opinion in this particular case is not right at all. Am I not witty enough or how can I learn to actually defend homosexualty infront of such people?

Thanks for any advice :help:

2. Hyaline

Why argue with a brick wall? There is very little to be gained by arguing with her about it. No matter what her intentions. It probably isn't necessary to discuss it in class. Given you are college age, I might be wrong there.
    I would personally ignore her. Some schools in the US have comment cards given to the students at the end of the semester/year. These cards are used as feedback for the teacher/school. You might anonymously drop in a note that says that you don't appreciate her anti-gay agenda as it doesn't pertain to the subject being studied..

3. IwillBeStrong

Thats true .. but I feel like I need to defend myself when she speaks so bad about gay people :S Im in my senior year at school and unfortunately there isn't such a feedback system over here. That would be great tough! :slight_smile:

4. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know how that feels... our principal went to France once on a school trip, with some students, and while she was there, she actually went to an anti-LGBT meeting and stuff, AND included it in a PowerPoint presentation she made about the trip, telling us what a learning experience that was for her. This was in front of the WHOLE school, 6th grade upwards. You have no idea how badly I wanted to run up and throw her off the stage :/

But the thing is that arguing with people like teachers gets you nowhere. At all. I learned this the hard way. Not talking about LGBT rights, that's far too scandalous :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but other things in general, social movements and things. Very few teachers actually take what you'll say into consideration. If they do, then they're very good teachers, but many won't. And they'll think you're just being cheeky and trying to contradict them. It doesn't get you anywhere and it won't change their opinions unless they are truly open minded (in which case they would be unlikely to have this kind of an opinion in the first place)

When you're in school try not to get on the bad side of teachers. They can make life hell for you if they're anything like mine were. I know how much you want to speak out, but in this situation, it's best kept to yourself.

5. LadyDude

I agree with opheliac, I'm more of the type to never shut up when I have an opinion or notice that a teacher is making comments that might be offensive for someone but you really get into a lot of problems when you do that.
    I'm pretty sure senior is the last year (I don't know over here we have it on numbers) so if it is its almost the end of the year and you won't have to deal with her, maybe you could report her anonymously, when I was in grade school someone did that

6. mangotree

Is it a religious school?

If no, Teachers have a duty of care towards their student's welfare. I see it as indirect harassment and/or bullying. They should be keeping those opinions and beliefs to themselves. As Hyaline said, perhaps an anonymous comment or complaint might be the way to go.

If yes (religious school), it's wrong, but unfortunately they have been given power to "legally" discriminate. Unfortunately the only way to get around it (I think) would be to get your education elsewhere.

7. Kat 5

Is the brick wall thing a Pink Floyd reference?

8. Hyaline

no, but cleverly I guess you could yell out "hey teacher!.....leave them kids alone"... :slight_smile:

9. Hiems

That's unfortunate. Apart from one case of my immunology professor being subtly anti-gay, my other professors have actually been pro-gay. It's odd because those professors taught humanities and communications. You'd think that a science professor would be on the pro-gay wagon too...

I agree with Hyaline about giving anonymous feedback to professors if that option is available. It doesn't hurt to get your voice out there. And the feedback will help the professor, and by extension help your peers who end up with him/her.

10. BleachedHair

BleachedHair Guest

Work hard be the best in your class... Showing up homophobic people should be a national past time...

11. IwillBeStrong

Yes I kinda get what you mean..and yes its my last year .. but you know to be honest its not about the teachers opinion.. what really annoys me is that she is talking like this to other students (probably even younger ones) too and I dont want her to spread not really valid/proven arguments and make gay people look bad!! Yes I will try that but I dont really want to get her into trouble as she just had a breakdown a year ago!

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2014 at 12:28 PM ----------

Unfortunately it is a religious school! :/ And your right, but its my senior year so I will be outta school in a month and get rid of her that way! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2014 at 12:30 PM ----------

Yes most of my teachers are pro-gay too which is really great! However, this one seems to be very closeminded.
    Yes I will consider that! Thanks for your advice :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2014 at 12:32 PM ----------

True! :slight_smile: