1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update and Further Questions - Crush with Boyfriend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by grant1981, Jun 6, 2014.

1. grant1981

Hi Everyone,

In case you don't remember me or my situation, here's the short of it. I met a guy at a friend's birthday party out of town, he and I connected there but only briefly. He was sending some strong signals (long looks across the room, immediate add of me on Facebook, etc.) but after I got home our communication slowed down. I also found out that he entered into a relationship with a guy in mid-April.

I had made plans to go to an event that he was going to be attending (before our meet up in March) and last weekend I went to the event. I played hard to get a little bit since he and I had not really talked much online and knowing he has the BF I didn't want to overstep my bounds. Boyfriend was not with him at this event. Anyway, on Saturday we were all in the pool and I had gotten out to go the bathroom. On my way back, he with great fanfare called me over and talked to me for over an hour. The only reason that we ended the conversation was that it was dinner time and his group had already asked him twice to get out of the pool. On Monday morning as we were getting ready to leave he made it a point to ask where my friends and I were going to breakfast and had it not been for some odd table logistics, I think he would have sat beside me, he kept trying to listen to what I was saying, even though other conversations were going on. When we went to leave he gave me two long, squeezing hugs (not the friend hug) and even took a glance back as he was walking away.

After I got back, I sent him a message telling him that I was glad he and I talked and he sent back a glowing message about how great it was to talk to me etc. I sent back another message but have not yet gotten a response (that was on Wednesday).

So, I'm all confused. I like this guy, he's smart, he's my type, he's into my scene, etc., but he's several states away and he has a boyfriend. I can't make heads or tails of his signals and I just don't know how to make a better connection online if he's never online! Should I just be forceful and send him "hey, how ya doin'?" messages? Or should I just give him his space and ignore it? I don't want to hurt anyone, so I'm not into trying to break him and his boyfriend up but dammit, if that relationship was to end I want to be in a position that he at least knows a bit about me. I mean, seriously, this is probably the crush talking, but I would pick up and move my entire life right now if he asked, so I'm beyond smitten.

Does anyone have any advice? My gut is telling me to just wait it out, but my head and heart are telling me to at least be strategic. But I'm lousy at this kind of stuff, and I don't want to make things awkward. HELP!

2. HeavyHeart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't get in the middle of things. This guy needs to decide on his own if he really wants to be with his boyfriend, or you. If he's flirting with you and sending mixed signals, who is to say he wouldn't do that with someone else if he was in relationship with you? I would try to be honest with him, if you really really like him. Tell him straight out that you have feelings for him, but aren't going to play around anymore. If he likes you, he needs to make up his mind.

3. grant1981

I don't know if I'm to the point of wanting to full-on call him out on this. While I'm getting some strong signals, I don't want to risk having misread something, and he's not done anything inappropriate that i wouldn't share with the world or his boyfriend. I guess this is where I'm torn, because I totally agree with what you're saying--and it's what I would tell a friend--but I'm worried that he's just being friendly and I'm over reacting because I'm crushing on him.

4. HeavyHeart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh gotcha, that is a tough spot to be in :/ I guess you might have to wait it out for a little while to see if something changes