1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADHD induced?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JakeHas, Jun 8, 2014.

1. JakeHas

So my boyfriend never really talks a lot and has trouble keeping conversations going. Except in the mornings. Every morning we had really great conversations that he keeps up, brings up things and just talks. But recently we've realized that may be due to his ADHD medicine. It makes him more willing to talk, where as later in the day it's really really hard for him and he barely talks to me.
    So what I'm looking for help from you guys, does him not talking to me a lot have something to do with me in specific, or his ADHD when the medication starts wearing off?

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    depends, do you only talk to him at school or just over the internet?

3. JakeHas

Long distance thing. We talk before school then not while at school, then whenever after school

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh cool, it might be his medicine but you might want to research it and/or ask him about it

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ADHD is horribly, grossly overdiagnosed and a huge percentage of the people diagnosed with it and medicated for it don't actually have it.

So it's possible that he doesn't actually have it and the medication is simply making him hyper (the medications are amphetamines, not too far off of crystal meth.) ADHD medicines will make *anyone's* focus sharper, but most people have plenty of focus without it. So he might consider talking to his parents and/or whomever prescribed it about tapering it down or discontinuing it. He should not simply stop taking it as that could be dangerous.