1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I continue to let toxic people back into my life?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CelticRae, Jun 10, 2014.

1. CelticRae

It's a bit of a long story. It all started 8 months ago, when I started dated this girl. She was a few years younger than me, that should have been a red flag but I went with it. She pulled me in real fast. I fell for her. She said she loved me and the whole thing. but then she said we couldn't be together any more out of the blue, she said she missed her boyfriend, I think well she doesn't know what she wants and leaves it at that. But no less than a month later she is texting me back telling me she misses talking to me. I get pissed at her. Stop talking to her for a few months and think it is over.

Well a few weeks ago , she texts me again saying she just wants to talk, she feels alone and no one understands her, so I make the biggest mistake of this season, text her back. at first I just wanted to be her friend I knew her life is difficult, she has an overbearing mother, and her father abused her. So I agree to be there for her. But quickly the conversations begin to get inappropriate my old feelings resurface. She says things that make me feel happy again, She wants to be with me again and blah blah blah, my brain is telling me no but my stupid heart was like why not?

However she is still with her boyfriend, she asks me if they should break up, I make another mistake and tell her it is up to her, but she must tell him.
    I should have known she didn't love me if she wasn't willing to break up with him. I go with it because I want to believe things can be better, I used her as an escape from my home life, because I am struggling with unemployment and debt and all that shit and I can't leave my house because i have no money.

Anyway so here is where the shit hits the fan. She takes me to her place and we have sex, which for me is hard because so many emotions are going on, I really love this girl at this point, but after she get's off right in the middle of it she says we cannot do this, turn 180 in the other direction. within the span of one hr goes from being intimate with me to not even wanting to touch me. It fucks with my head and my heart to the point where I basically can't move. then she tells me she is sorry, she has borderline personality disorder.

So I was trying to process what has just happened.I didn't have anywhere to go at that point because it was too late to go home. So I just laid under the blanket in fetal position the rest of the night trying to make sense of why I am such a failure at this.

So now I just feel terrible, I have no one to go to and I wonder if I will ever be able to have an intimate relationship because this damaged me so much. I can't talk to my family because they judge me. They believe all my problems will just float away if I stop dating women.( bi girls you all know that aint true) So am in a dark place right now. Wondering why I keep letting toxic people in my life, trying to reign in that power for myself. thanks for listening.

2. katwat

I know it is much easier said than done, but you need to cut this person from your life. Make it a clean break and a permanent one. She is a user and will never be what you need. Once you make the break LEARN from it. Really think of all the things that both you and she did wrong in this relationship. Learn the signs and avoid them in the future.

My ex was verbally abusive, he really dug into my head and also built onto insecurities my father had put in my head. My ex was at the end physically abusive. It took a lot to make the break and get away from him. I believed him when he said I would never have anyone else want me because I was nothing. BUT when I saw even the tiniest sliver of kindness from people other than him I started to wonder if perhaps I was not so awful. After some time I realized that I might not be the greatest person on the planet but I sure as hell was better than him and his evil crap. Getting away from him was the best thing. It was so wonderful to not be drowned in negativity all the time. With friends and later a wonderful boyfriend (who has been my hubby for 19 years now) I finally realized that I am okay. I deserve respect, kindness, joy, love, and just BETTER than my ex ever gave me.

When you get away from negative people, the users and the abusers, you can start building up yourself. You deserve better. You deserve to be happy and to be loved. Don't let this one person ruin your joy. Cut her off. Be done with her and move on. Find someone who will give you the love and happiness you deserve.