1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell family about what happened?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by drwinchester, Jun 11, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I've made a thread, posted a lot about it in the past few days since it happened.

But anyway, really not wanting to tell family about what happened with that predator, yet at the same time already having problems dealing with keeping it to chest.

I feel like, should family (and especially mother) find out, they'd just act like it was my fault for being stupid. "See, this is what happens when you don't listen to me" Or, they'd pity me and I feel like that'd almost be worse.

So, should I? Or can I keep it to the chest?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'm kind of lost...

Like my grandmother? Keeps chirping around, has no idea what's going on. Sometimes my anxiety's really kicking up when she's around, I'm getting wary and want to be left alone but there's no way to avoid her unless I'm upstairs and I dunno how to manage the new panic attacks around her (or even around other people).

My sisters, had to watch them yesterday. And they were fine for the most part. Good kids. Started getting really overwhelmed with them asking me for things, panic attack seeding, had to keep leaving the room so they'd leave me alone for five minutes but that's the thing about kids- they don't leave you alone and you can't either.

Basically, I'm becoming a neurotic wreck and I dunno how to deal with that around family or anyone else I want to keep quiet to.

3. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    have you tried medicine?

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

My therapist wants me to look into Wellabutrin as soon as I have a general physician but no, not yet.

5. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    you REALLY should, would rather not have them get worse and... you know

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

And what? I go fucking insane? Look, I don't need this right now.

7. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh im sorry

8. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always get a bit worried when people start talking about taking meds to deal with mental illness or extreme stress. I had a friend who used to take them and he quickly became dependent upon them and his mood got increasingly worse as his tolerance built over the years. He eventually ended up attempting suicide. An important part of this to note is that he was using marijuana and IMO became reliant upon that as he saw it as an alternative form of medicine that he hadnt yet built a tolerance to. Bottom line is that I think meds can set you on a dangerous path and the best option could be to open up to your family or any alternative to dealing with this stress than meds.
    Personally I havent been in your position so cant understand how you feel and if a professional has recommended meds then you may be better off using them, this is only my experiance of friends using them.

9. Evil Kitten

If meds are what you feel you need then take them, telling your family can help whatever you decide to do and what you tell them is only what you are comfortable saying.

No one should dictate what you plan to do other than you, those around you can help and give advice but ultimately is up to you and understanding what help you feel you need and who you tell.

10. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what you've told me, your mom tends to lash out at people in a rather immature fashion. I have a feeling that your mother would use it against you. It would be a new weakpoint to be attacked during arguments. I dunno if you should tell your grandmother. I keep some things to myself because I know if I tell ONE person, EVERYONE will know within a week. You know better than me how she'd react and how trustworthy she is.

Only a professional or team thereof could decide if you should take medications. They'll tell you about clinical depression vs environmental depression. Medications can make you more anxious and depressed before they make you better. It took a while before we found medications that actually worked for me.

Also all you can do is take it one day at a time. You shouldn't have to be this strong and yet you are. You may feel weak and blame yourself. Feeling isn't the same as being. That guy is an idiot and he's a lot weaker than you. For what it's worth, I see him as less than human. I wish he'd at least rot in jail. You've done everything you could to bring the bastard to justice. Right now you need to focus on yourself. Get enough sleep and don't be so hard on yourself. It's okay to talk about it, and you know to be careful of the people you discuss it with.

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. That's what I worry about. My mom would lash out. I can see it now. "Oh. This is exactly what happens when you're stupid enough not to listen to me. You get taken advantage of. No wonder he did that. You're so naive."

I had anxiety issues anyway before this happened so my therapist wanted me to look into an anxiety med if I felt I needed it. And sometimes I feel I do. But I worry about the side affects, you know? I don't even take sleeping medication because I worry about that.

I can't get what happened out of my head and it's like everything I worked for's pretty much down the drain. I'm wary of people again. I sometimes feel like self harming again. I can't deal with this.

12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

And no. I won't self harm. I'm not gonna hurt myself. I've come too far. But I guess I don't really know how to cope. :\ So I really want to avoid doing something stupid or drastic. But I will have you know the most drastic thing I've done has been to buy an 8 inch sub and eat it in one sitting. I'll probably be on a first name basis with Monsieurs Ben and Jerry.

It's why I didn't openly file the report. I didn't want family finding out or the police coming to my place (but could've made report elsewhere and that was initial plan). Report was made anonymously so I could avoid anyone unwanted finding out.